Charcoal Figure

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Charcoal Figure

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Niels Hoppe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

This is actually just the second larger figure drawing “projekt” i’ve done.

While I do alot of figure drawings, they are mostly gestual, and just linework, but I’ve recently decided to work towards more finished drawings.

Obviously it’s the Rendering/Shading (whats the right term?) that is the weakest part of the drawing and what gives me trouble. Im familiar with concepts for rendering, like thinking of plains etc. but nevertheless my shadows turn out unorganised and messy, i’ve got trouble organising values, and there is no distinguishing between cast and core shadows.  So I welcome any advice/critique especially regarding rendering, and also any recommendations of lessons regarding this topic.

(Also, while I don’t want to blame the medium for the outcome, but it’s the first time I’m using nitram charcoal and i’ve felt they are really hard to control, maybe I’m using them wrong, I’m used to willow charcoal.)

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

You have the right idea. It’s much easier to learn finishing when you’ve trained starts than the other way around. I would suggest you simplify your values more for a clearer read, then choose which subtleties and details you want to add

Rey BustosRey Bustos
    No badges. No points.

Here Niels, Mr. Rey here with a recording just for you to add to what Joshua already said. Click on this link.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zioSEj-xyNzxe_JQj8pgJpkvmVwKoxgp/view
    There might be a glitch with this link, I will try to post it again later if it is still slow to load…sorry, Mr.Rey
    I’ll try this link…
    https://documentviewer.herokuapp.com/?state=%7B%22ids%22:%5B%221zioSEj-xyNzxe_JQj8pgJpkvmVwKoxgp%22%5D,%22action%22:%22open%22,%22userId%22:%22108077361474316478274%22%7D

• This reply was modified 3 years, 12 months ago by Rey BustosRey Bustos.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.