CHARCOAL FIGURE STUDY – CRITIQUE PLEASE

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique CHARCOAL FIGURE STUDY – CRITIQUE PLEASE

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    hoXhahoXha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, this is a recent figure study i did.

I don’t know what it is, but im not satisfied with the result. Maybe i could arrange the background better, don’t know 🙁

I’m curious to listen what you think about it

Tanisha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hmmm… First, Good Job! A really nice piece!

The way I see it, the greatest area of contrast is the light silhouette of the front leg against the dark of the background, it makes it the focus of the piece, whereas psychologically the focal point should be at the impact? It’s hard to say. Also, something about the cropping feels off, so try thumbnailing before you work bigger. Might also be a need for a hierarchy in the lights, based on the focal point.

I really like this so, so I will say it again Good job!

PetrStranik
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi there, I like it – Steveny Hustony so to speak. I think maybe getting rid of the shaft of light in the bottom right corner would bring more attention to the impact area. It is a bummer that is out of focus that way I could speak more to the rendering. But from what I see I feel like you have a great understanding how to use chiaroscuro effect to your advantage and you can skilfully emphasise core shadows where’s needed. Maybe i would play down the creases in the drapery. i thing it is popping too much forward. Nice lost and found edges and understanding of anatomy. Maybe I would suggest to move the elbow of the left guy in order to avoid tangency…

Regards Petr

hoXhahoXha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I agree with you Tanisha, i feel i need more time thinking about the project before starting (value n tone composition/framing), sometimes i rush diving right into it. Really appreciated it thank u

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Awesome piece. Very intense! Good advice in this thread.

I think the gesture and composition could use work.

I’m having a hard time believing the fighter on the right is leaping and delivering a knee. The figure on the left reeling back is convincing, but try some variations for the jumping figure.

Also it’s a strange moment in time to capture. Not the contact of the blow itself, not the wind up, but after it, where one figure falls back and the attacker who dominates the composition is at this point just–falling? It’s as if we have missed the big moment.

I think this idea could work, and I know you can definitely pull this off but consider to try some thumbnails for variations on the composition and give it another go.

hoXhahoXha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

you caught me Petr (i really like steve huston) it was a study trying to practice his stile and learn some from it

I tried to balance the background with that light area on the bottom right side, ending up creating more unbalance and misleadin attention.

Next time i’ll focus more on that. Thank u

PetrStranik
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

You got that on point Joshua about the delivery of the blow. I think that this is the main issue that’s missing here. That’s the main plot that I guess should be obvious and other things should be subsidiary to it…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.