Catherine’s 100 Day Art challenge – Ink leaves

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Catherine’s 100 Day Art challenge – Ink leaves

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Catherine RademanCatherine Rademan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I’m Catherine, committing to a 100 days of art is daunting, no jokes. However, in a moment of bravado… I am going to give it a jolly good go. Planning to sketch a leaf or flower a day.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Catherine. These are really lovely 🙂. I was doing botanical drawing before I started with NMA. Are you beginning your drawings with pencil or going straight in with ink? 100 days is daunting, but I’ve just finished one and am back for a second – it’s helped me tremendously with drawing regularly and I’m confident you’ll find it helpful too. You’ll also find yourself at the end before you know it! I look forward to seeing more 🙂.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Used a size 5 round brush, with Diamine chocolate brown ink, found this darling leaf walking this morning. Trying to translate tonal values was tricky for me today…

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Deborah, those are kind words indeed! thank you, hoping to take away confidence to let the pencil go – initial fine outline, then fountain pen on the detail. 100 days might have been ambitious, but aiming to draw while leaves are still on the plant, and not from photographs. Still early days in the journey.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Interesting studies Catherine.  I’m glad you are taking on the challenge.  I think you will find that by doing it, you will improve a lot.  Since you are working a lot in line, you might want to think about how vary your line quality a bit more.  How can you use thick or thin lines to describe form?  How can you use thick or thin lines to be more expressive and give a sense of life?  How can you use thick or thin lines to describe light? Where can you break a line and make the mind fill in the gap?  If you haven’t already, you might want to check out Ilya Mirochnik’s lesson “An Introduction to Mark Making” in the Russian Drawing Course.  He’s got some great exercises for improving line quality.  Good Luck, you are off to a great start!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.