Black Female w/ Turban Sculpture

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Black Female w/ Turban Sculpture

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Beth BarnardBeth Barnard
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Black Female w/ Turban Sculpture

Iliya MirochnikIliya Mirochnik
    Participant
    Instructor Badge
    No points.

Hi Beth,

Sculpting portraits is, in my opinion, one of the greatest experiences. I’m so glad you’re doing it. The one thing I’d recommend is to look more at the profile view. The face feels flat, and regardless of ethnicity it’s rarely as flat as what I’m seeing here. Plus, I’ve seen this kind of error many times in my classes. So try to work more from the profile and 3/4 view than the front view, and remember that the face wraps around the head further back. I’ve done 2 draw-overs, one showing the planes of the face, and the other is an attempt at correction. What I mean by that is I drew some lighter and darker areas as I would if I were correcting a drawing or a painting, indicating the form better. Basically, you need to pay attention to the lights and shadows on the sculpture because they are describing the form. This is why sculpture is so good, it really does make your drawings and paintings better.

Keep up the good work!

Iliya

Participant
    Instructor Badge
    No points.

Participant
    Instructor Badge
    No points.

Beth BarnardBeth Barnard
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello Lliya!

Thank you so much for your thoughtful feedback. I’ve made a copy of your suggestions and will look at the piece with fresh eyes tomorrow so that I can make use of your recommendations. Maybe next time I’ll also print the profile. It sounds like I would be wise to take one of your drawing classes as I continue to sculpt, so I’ll plan to do that at some point soon. At the same time that I seem to get light and shadows, the planes of the face seem to be a continual learning experience for me.

Thanks again for your helpfulness.

With best wishes,

Beth

Beth BarnardBeth Barnard
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Sculpture after Critique

Participant
    Instructor Badge
    No points.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.