Beginning Head Drawing | Part 3: The Eyes

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Beginning Head Drawing | Part 3: The Eyes

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In this exciting in-depth drawing series, instructor Steve Huston shows you a step-by-step construction of the human head. He covers the basic forms and more detailed intermediate constructs of the head as well as the eyes, nose, mouth and ears. In this lesson, Steve covers how to construct the eye within the eye socket. He will also show you how the eye lids are placed around the eye as well as the brow ridges.

Materials

• Sharpie Markers
    • Digital Tablet
    • Waterman Paris Fountain Pen
    • Brown Fountain Pen Ink
    • Seth Cole Heavy Ledger Paper
    JohnnyMccoullough
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I found it difficult to dissect the information given in the eye tutorial, not to discredit Mr. Huston’s teaching methods- but he mumbles a lot and is quite vague in parts, other than that this tutorial has been great!

joseph.demarco
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Wow and I thought I knew about about structure. When you think you know it theirs always more to learn. It was great but yes at times i didn’t understand what he was saying particularly with his choice of words to describe things. All in all great teacher knows his stuff

jsnodonnell7
    Participant
    No points.

I just re-subscribed to N.M.A at the weekend.  I love the new format of the site. Makes it so much easier to navigate and create a learning plan and schedule that works for me. I started on Steve’s beginning head drawing course on Sunday as I have chosen to focus on the head and go back to basics in that regard. I have to say that I find Steve’s teaching approach wonderful. Its a simple no nonsense approach. Very practical and the way he has it structured really suits my learning style. I have learned more about the head in the past three days than I have in the past 6 months or year. A great teacher. Looking forward to moving through this and other courses that Steve presents, as well as some of the other instructors that seem to suit what it is I need to work on and the direction I feel my learning needs to progress towards.  I love this online school. For me its by far the best out there, and I have tired a good few.

Gabriel Shannon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Enjoying the series, very informative.

I really wish however they would replace the ‘learning from the old masters’ sections as they’re a bit of a gimmick. The time during that could be used to explore the blueprints of the structure from different perspectives.

Not to discredit Steve or anything but we’re paying for a lesson on intermediate eye structure and wasting time looking at this as reference?

Abhinaba Sengupta
    Participant
    No points.

In the lecture Steve says that he will discuss eye and eye lids in detail in the advanced section.

Can anyone let me know the lesson in which he does that?

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Abhinaba, Steve goes into more detail on the eye in lesson 20 part 3 the effects of aging, but its worth watching all of his videos here to pick up all the information

https://www.nma.art/courses/advanced-head-drawing/

Abhinaba Sengupta
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks for your response

I watched that but I am not really looking for effect of aging on eyes. I want advance drawing technique for eyes which he mentions . like movement of eyelid on the eyeball in various positions and perspective. The series also has a picture of those sketches but I couldn’t find them in all the lessons under constructive head drawings. Hope I could explain

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

It looks like those pictures were from his Figure Drawing Book. https://store.nma.art/product/figure-drawing-signed-edition-by-steve-huston/
    But you could also look at Steve’s intro to painting course where he goes into more detail about the eyes. Also Glenn’s head lectures go into more detail on the eyes as well

I hope this helps

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.