Artemisia’s 100 Day Challenge: Figure, Anatomy, and Gesture

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Artemisia’s 100 Day Challenge: Figure, Anatomy, and Gesture

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Artemisia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I used to draw a lot when I was younger, but fell out of the habit. I’m trying to dive back in and learn again! I like drawing portraits and faces, but one of my biggest weaknesses is that my figures seem stiff and are often anatomically incorrect.

I would like to focus on the figure, specifically with gesture and anatomy, I would like my drawings to have life and vibrance. Right now I’m focusing on structure and gesture, but in the long-term would like to learn more and improve my concept and use of color.

I’m starting with Steve Huston’s Beginner Figure Drawing for now. Looking forward to this challenge!

Artemisia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Gestural Drawings

Artemisia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Gestural Images - Day 1Day 1 of Gestural Images! Overall, did about an hour’s worth of gestural images, but just chose one page to upload. Some things I like, and a lot of improvement to go over the next 100 days!

Artemisia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 3 submitted in the nick of time! I like the way some turn out and hate some of the others!

Artemisia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Noticed Day 2 didn’t post for some reason!

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Artemisia… first off, what a cool name!

Welcome to the challenge… it looks like you are already bringing plenty of dexterity and command of the figure… I think this will be a very satisfying journey for you.

The best advice I could give you right now is to put Steve on pause and sneak in some Figure Drawing | Part 1: Gesture with Glenn Vilppu.  

I don’t think you will find a more effective figure drawing refresher/primer course… its great for beginners or vets alike… and short and sweet.

I’m looking forward to watching your growth!

Artemisia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Ian! Thanks so much for your advice! I’m really looking forward to this journey. Sounds good, I’ll check out that series today, I’ve heard really good things about the Glenn Vilppu videos.

Artemisia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 4! Thanks Ian for the suggestion, I’ve started watching Glenn Vilppu’s videos, unfortunately I haven’t been able to get to far yet, but looking forward to watching more. 

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Great challenge. You’re doing exactly the right thing right now. Keep going and maybe light your photos a bit better if possible.

Artemisia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Joshua! Thanks so much for the advice, good point! I’ll add some more lighting!

iamjakerooiamjakeroo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

gesture drawings are one of my favorite things to do each day

hope to see more of yours

by the way, welcome to the art challenge

Artemisia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks so much for the intro! Looking forward to this challenge and seeing everyone else’s art!

Artemisia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 5! Thanks everyone for the advice and input, still working on getting either better lighting or darker lines for these gesture drawings. I should add, I’m doing more of these per day, but I’m just taking a picture of one page to upload!

Artemisia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 6! I’m dedicating time tomorrow to Glenn Vilippu, can’t wait to dig in and learn.

Iliya MirochnikIliya Mirochnik
    Participant
    Instructor Badge
    No points.

Hi Artemisia,

I really like these structural gestures that you’re doing. I can’t wait to see more of your posts. I did a little draw-over where I solidify some of the structures that you have and make others a little more apparent. There’s not so much to comment here as just correct through the draw-over. I’ll be back to do more in the future, keep up the great work!

Best,

Iliya

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.