Annie’s 100 Day Art Challenge: 100 Days of Animals!

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Annie’s 100 Day Art Challenge: 100 Days of Animals!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Annie Survis
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I am challenging myself to 100 days of improving my animal anatomy and knowledge. I’m doing this mainly to improve my drawings of fantasy creatures. In light of this, every Friday I plan on posting a fantasy creature that has been inspired by my animal research.

I plan on posting at least three sketches a day, with some basic and/or interesting knowledge about the animals I’m drawing. Sketches can be in pencil or pen, and may include watercolor. They will be detailed enough to show both basic forms and interesting details to inspire future drawings.

Fantasy creature Friday will be a more finished drawing.

Day 1: Fishies! May is MerMay on Instagram, so I thought I should get started with some research!

• This topic was modified 3 years, 12 months ago by Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 12 months ago by Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo.
    Annie Survis
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 2, manta rays

Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Fishes have such interesting structures and shapes. This will be fun to see. I also like the research notes on the side. 🙂

Another favourite is insects, which I want to get to drawing soon.

These could also be interesting in color.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Awesome! This makes me want to draw animals!

Annie Survis
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 3, the arapaima!

Thank you food the comments.  Going through this challenge with everyone is going to be really awesome!

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

So cool! A bit more construction lines to establish the symmetry and 3D forms would help I think.

Peihong Jiang Peihong Jiang
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

derp!

Those are so cute!!! I’m very limited regarding animals. Looking forward to seeing more! it’s very inspiring.

Ramona
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Very informative challenge you have here, looking forward to see you progress!

Annie Survis
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 4: mola mola, or ocean sun fish! I could draw pics of them all day, and I definitely want to do some watercolors of these.

I’m also trying to learn contour hatching,  which I’m terrible at.  I’m really good at other hatching.  I have no idea why this one continuesto elude me.

Thank you for your comments! I love  knowing that other people are looking at what I’m drawing,  and that maybe I’m inspiring others.  🙂

Annie Survis
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Happy Friday,  and happy first of May!

It’s fantasy creature Friday,  so here’s the mermaid I drew today!  Pen and ink this time.

I feel like this turned out pretty well,  and would love to hear thoughts!

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Cool stuff. I like the notes that go with the fish. Have you tried adding color to them?

Peihong Jiang Peihong Jiang
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I like the fantasy world, especially how you captured the light with the white background. ^^

DeanGiberson
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I like how you didn’t use the standard dolphin tail style fin. If you made the tail fringe/fin a little translucent it might help anchor the character into the space.

Lucas a.k.a Lucas a.k.a “Roams”
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

nice work 🙂 love me some fantasy art

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Beautiful world. Getting back to that idea of internal corners, I think that would be my top recommendation for you. I can see that you’re clearly able to run lines over and across the form because that’s what you’re doing with the dorsal fin on the mermaid but it’s that 3D side—using boxes,cylinders,spheres,cones, running lines over and across the form, finding those corners within not just along the silhouette that would help improve your work!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.