Acrylic portrait of teenage girl

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Acrylic portrait of teenage girl

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    garyartista
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I think the structure is good but of if you see some way to improve that aspect I am all ears.  I think the painting is rather flat.  When I try to add dimension she looks older than she is.  As you note from the photo there are multiple light sources so this is plenty tricky.  I think I am close to capturing her likeness nonetheless, but could use some advice on how to get closer to the reference.  I am working by the photo. I have not added the sweater and will have to add a bit more blue to the skin tones.  I would also appreciate any thoughts you might have on the hair.  The photo crops the top of her head but not by much so I think I have it about right but not quite sure where to note the origin point on the top of the head.  I see a lot of green in her blond, perhaps a camera distortion but I do like it.  The shadows around the mouth need work, esp the one on her left side.  Lip tone is not quite there yet either.  Well. comment on whatever you notice.  Four + eyes are better than 2.  I will post the reference.

garyartista
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

danijel.sparemblek
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

you did a good critique be yourself. dont work on colors from reference photo. it is always tricki. You need more shadow and light. A chin and cheek is not right. put the green in the hair and darker too.

garyartista
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks.

I’d already added quite a bit of green to the hair and darker.  I tried some green for shadows  Didn’t work well.  That nose is giving me fits.  I’ve adjusted the angle and length and the turn down several times.  There is one or more minor errors or interpretations somehow combining to make the appearance a bit off.

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

garyartista
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

good suggestions, thanks!

I’ve changed the nose and mouth a bit since, and put a dark edge in along the right side of her face and where her hair starts, which is also narrowed a bit.  Your other suggestions should help.  I think I am 90% there.  Mouth looks right to me but will look again.  Bangs and showing skin under the hair on forehead good ideas.  My rendition looks a bit puffier than the reference.  Not sure why yet.

gary

garyartista
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I feel good about this as a painting.  Perhaps someone can point out additional flaws or ways to improve.  I have found limits to shading-  I add it and it makes her look older.  A better painter could find a way to deal with this.  As to accuracy I think I am very close but not 100% of the way there, am stumped as to how to get it closer.  Perhaps too much black on the back of the shirt.  Perhaps I should have used a very dark brown.

garyartista
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I did not use that nice S curve in the hair.  It does not exist in the reference that I can see.  I was unable to see how to do it.

Tanisha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

The background and her shirt seem to have a  lot more saturation than necessary, that’s why I think the sketch above and the photograph might appear to be “working” that and values of course, because of the darkness surrounding the head it appears to be even lighter, making it appear cooler yet, dont get me wrong it could work I have seen some painters pull that look, but somehow the sketch works better in terms of relative value.

I think because of the nature of light in the photograph (ambient light), which is much harder to paint than a direct light source, I could see why you felt that. I also feel that you should have left room for light values on the head, the head in the photograph first is more saturated and second darker than what you have painted.

But overall given the complexity of light and the subject (heads are never easy), A job well done!

Hope this helps!

garyartista
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

good points.  it is a tricky one.  Just such a gorgeous photo of her I could not resist.  The painting’s values are hard to capture in a photo without studio lighting.  That’s another struggle to deal with.  Thanks  for you thoughts!

g

garyartista
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I added some value to the darker side of the hair. with a wash of raw umber and cad yellow.  I think it adds a bit of dimension.  This is a better photo than the last, lighting conditions better.  I might try to reduce the value in her short and the background on that side.

garyartista
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

That photo shows more pink in her skin than the painting

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.