A Realist Approach to Drawing and Painting

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion A Realist Approach to Drawing and Painting

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In this video lesson artist and author, Juliette Aristides walks you through a comprehensive approach to drawing and painting with a particular focus on preparatory sketches. Juliette both draws and paints a still life by moving through several clear and logical stages, starting with charcoal and finishing with oil paint.

Materials

• Nitram Academie Fusains Charcoal
    • Shop Cloth or Paper Towel
    • Drawing Paper
    • White Chalk
    • Palette Knife
    • Artists Grade Oil Colors
    • Toned Canvas Panel
    • Micron Pen – Black
    • Stretched Canvas
    • Paintbrushes
    The Dane
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi,

thanks for yet another interesting lesson. I have two questions:

– is any medium used to thin the paint in the underpainting stage or is it just raw umber straight from the tube?

– is the underpainting left to dry completely before the first layer of colour?

LeeGreer
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I watched it twice because of the process in the first chapters of composing lights and darks. That is becoming my main criteria in all my art. It is good to hear another artist say it, explain it and do it.

Mario Rinaudo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

It is a little disappointing that there was not much discussion on how to arrive at the target color in the objects. Overall, it was a positive experience to watch the whole process.

Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Dane,

I could be wrong here, but I believe Juliette did not use medium here. I did this course at the end of the year, so my memory isn’t fresh on what she said, but I remember that from the appearance of it applied on the canvas and how she worked it in, I think it would have been straight out of the tube. The viscosity of your paint and the surface you are working on matters here. Some oil paints can be dry and stiff, others buttery, others more viscous. Best to experiment with a couple – the earth tones such as raw umber makes it more affordable to do so. For surface, some are more absorbant than others, which will affect the spreadability.

For the underpainting, it would be best to let it dry before beginning the first layer of colour to prevent the underpainting “bleed” into your colour layer.

CraigKelly
    Participant
    No points.

What paint colors does she start with? I dont see a list

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.