A Beginner’s Guide to Drawing | Lesson 7: Landscape Drawing

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion A Beginner’s Guide to Drawing | Lesson 7: Landscape Drawing

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

The New Masters Academy Beginner Series helps aspiring artists start their artistic journey on the right foot. Your expert instructors will gently guide you to an understanding of drawing fundamentals. In this final lesson of the series, Bill Perkins will demonstrate various landscape drawing exercises. Bill will start by planning his composition with matrices, and will show you how you can use your knowledge of value control, notan and chiaroscuro, and to combine everything you have learned in this series to successfully draw your own landscape composition.

Materials

• General Charcoal Pencil
    • Conté a Paris Sketching Pencils – Brown, Black
    MarionBuricatu
    Participant
    No points.

Hello Mr Perkins,

Thank you very much for your class, that I love. I learn a lot and I appreciate all the information you are giving. Here is my question: I thought it is better to have different values for each level of space like the foreground, middleground and background for clarity purpose but in your video about making a matrix with 3 values for a landscape, you don’t seem to be taking that into consideration. I find it difficult to combined the concept of value grouping with the separation of planes. What is your advice on that?

thank you very much

Marion

Yvonne Everett
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I’m struggling with the term “value matrix”?  A matrix is a well known mathematical term, also used in geology where it has a different meaning.  Instead of confusing with complex words, can we simply use plain English and call it a  two-value thumbnail?  Or use the more commonly accepted term notan?

Paul Williams
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello Mr. Perkins.

Thank you for the lesson discussing values.

When practicing, I would like to do so by drawing in a frame

which is of some particular height/ width. Can you please advise?

For example, should a thumbnail sketch be roughly 3″ x 4″ or whatever?

When drawing a landscape from a reference photo, it would be nice to not be confined

by the relative dimensions of the photo, but instead to pick some pleasing height/width frame to use.

Thanks.

Paul

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.