A beginner saying hello from Glasgow, Scotland

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Start Here: Introduce Yourself! A beginner saying hello from Glasgow, Scotland

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Liam BaxterLiam Baxter
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi guys, I’m Liam, just thought I would say hello. I started painting 6-8 months ago to improve my mental health during this pandemic. I’m 30 years old and had never drawn/painted in my life before. I didn’t think art was an option for me because I am colour blind. For this reason, I currently only use black and white paint. I tend to paint landscapes, but I hope to broaden my skillset through New Masters Academy. I’ll attach a few paintings for you to look at, critique etc. Go easy on me though! I’m only a beginner remember! haha. I hope your studies go extremely well. Feel free to say hello.

Liam

Birgith ScheiBirgith Schei
    Participant
    No points.

These looks great, having in mind that you have not drawn kr painted before.💐👌👏

Liam BaxterLiam Baxter
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you so much, that’s really kind. Yes, I suppose I’m really just learning how to move paint around at the moment. Going to put a lot of work into learning perspective and improving my drawing over the summer. I might even tackle colour theory at some point! From what I gather though, getting to grips with value in black and white first is not bad practice.

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Very nice work! The second one evokes a tremendous amount of depth – the atmospheric perspective and the detailed light reflections in the foreground. The third one is very luminous as well, but the abstract brush marks in the foreground kill the illusion a bit, at least for me. Kudos for not letting your limitations get into the way! (Who knows, it could add an interesting note to your style) Not sure if you’re familiar with the artist Mark Thompson – he does a lot of black and white/almost black and white paintings, and they are quite evocative: http://www.markthompson-artist.com/.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.