Working from Dark to Light with a Serrated Eraser

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Working from Dark to Light with a Serrated Eraser

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In this video lesson, world-famous artist and instructor Glenn Vilppu provides a unique drawing approach. First a dark tone is laid upon the paper and then the initial block-in is laid down in black pencil. Next the light tones are built up using a serrated eraser, which you can make yourself. This approach has similarities to sculpture and creates a three-dimensional and beautiful drawing.

Materials

• CarbOthello Pencil – Black
    • Chamois
    • Staedtler Mars Plastic Eraser
    • Sanding Block
    • Drawing Paper
    Matthew HaverlyMatthew Haverly
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

What kind of charcoal was used for the tone background?

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

It is charcoal dust accumulated on Glenn’s sanding pad from sanding down charcoal pencils but you can also buy charcoal powder.

Sandra Dahlmann
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I used the same rubber and sketchbook paper, charcoal dust from a charcoal pencil, but I cannot erase the charcoal. The rubber does not have the same effect as in the video. What did I do wrong?

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Sandra, its hard to say without testing it out with your materials, but I would recommend trying out different materials. Art is all about experimentation.
    With that said, my hunch is that it might be your eraser. I’ve had some eraser that wouldn’t work well for this technique. The eraser really has to cut through the medium without getting loaded with graphite or charcoal.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.