Which easel should I buy?

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art Discussion Studio Tips Which easel should I buy?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

So, I think its time I invested in an easel that I can stand up at. I have a table top one which has been good for small canvas oils and up to UK A3 size drawings (29.7 x 42.0 cm), but I want to start doing some larger pieces where I can stretch my paper onto a board and then get going. I don’t have masses of space. I am indoors.

I am confused as to which sorts of easels should be used for what – why would an easel say it is for “Oil and Acrylic” or “Watercolour” – what is it about them that makes them medium specific?
    Studio easels look small, and then I’ve just seen a Lyre easel, which also looks small – but there is nothing to say – benefits of this one are…XYZ, and the drawbacks are…XYZ – I did like the look of a studio easel, but then when I read the reviews they were talking about it hitting the ceiling! what is that all about??

Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Jo, from what I’ve seen online, watercolor easels allow the canvas to rotate back 90 degrees and lay flat like a table top so that the watercolor does not drip.
    I also know that some easels have a central telescoping piece of wood that allows you to hold very tall canvases, this might be whats hitting the ceiling.

I want to invite you to the NMA discord server. You may have better luck finding answers in the #traditional-materials-and-tools channel.
    The link to join discord is at the top of this page. Once there you can tag @nmamod for assistance if needed

Good luck!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.