The Grisaille (Greyscale) Oil Portrait

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion The Grisaille (Greyscale) Oil Portrait

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

I’ve heard some teachers recommend that you should do the study, then watch the video, then attempt it again, this allows you to consciously compare your habits to the instructors. Others may have a different philosophy though

Prathamesh PagarePrathamesh Pagare
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I don’t have access to any physical materials as they are very expensive here, so here’s a stab at it with my Huion H950P.

I would love constructive feedback, I want to get better!

Portrait Study #1

heidi lorenzheidi lorenz
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Ereka

I was on here hoping for some kind of response or input to my work…by anyone really. A sort of affirmation that others are watching , learning and sharing. It’d be really great to have an active community here to share thoughts, ideas and insights as we go through the learning process. But, it does seem light on the community aspect. I understand tho it’s hard we are all so busy with life and it’s hard to commit to input everyday or even every week.

Anyway, for me personally I like to go through an entire demo then maybe even go through it again before I paint. But, painting IS what creates growth. Listen, watch, paint. We are all different in our learning process it’s a personal choice and to be frank if you don’t do the work you won’t get the growth. Do both and keep on painting.

Good luck with your painting and have fun!

Heidi

http://www.heidilorenz.art

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by heidi lorenzheidi lorenz.
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Ereka and Heidi!

Most of the community is active on our discord

We have channels were you can post your work for critique
    we also have channels where you can livestream with other artists
    and a whole lot more
    its all free and open to everyone
    we currently have over 4k users
    We also have instructors pop in from time to time 🙂

Hope to see you there

https://discord.gg/MnnK5QjTjW

Stephanie Tabb
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

here is my 1 hour Grisaille effort and some color swatches.  My style is typically very smooth, but I’m wanting a more loose look, so this was a fun exercise and really pulled at me to NOT blend so much….

Black and white with color swatches

This is my normal…

My normal

here are the 30 minute exercises, which are in need of serious work!  But ah well 🙂 good practice and on paper I can rip up 🙂

Good grief

Robert GerrityRobert Gerrity
    Participant
    No points.

Can I do this class in acrylic? I’ve drawn for years but this will be my first time painting.

Boris CruseBoris Cruse
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Robert

Not sure if this is helpful or not.
    I started this workshop using acrylics. I personally got frustrated with the medium and the drying time despite using a slow drying medium.

This course is really worth following using oils. Having a space a small dedicated to just painting also helps.  I’ve posted my initial grayscale images using acrylic paint and later studies using oil. So pleased I made that leap. Not a better medium, just different.  Don’t spend loads of money. Black and white oil paint, sheet of glass, low odour thinners, cotton rags, cheap canvas pad (for now) and 3 or 4 decent brushes.

Hope it works out well for you. Be great to see what you come up with.

Cheers

Boris

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.forum.nma.art/1392767/iumq1hr7ojh5p43ezugya2ov7a61vqnu.jpeg<span style=”-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);”>
    </span>
    Acrylic Greyscale study

Oil Study (4 x 30mins)

Oil Study (4 x 30 mins)

Robert GerrityRobert Gerrity
    Participant
    No points.

Very helpful! Thanks Boris

PatrickSchmidt
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Joseph, hey everybody! Going step by step along with this course and so far I am really loving the direction and pace of it. Also, it is so valuable getting first hand instruction of a tutor like Joseph! This is the first greyscale painting, on which I sat maybe a ‘bit’ longer than Joseph. But I guess, that’s okay while learning. See ya in class! 🙂

PatrickSchmidt
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I need some tips. I tend to go dark, too dark in the light part. I do realize that while in the process of painting but cant seem to crank the wheel, kind of like a mindset. My idea now is, work with a greyscale example lightest to darkest on my palette for direct comparison with the grey on my brush. How would you go at it?

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

I actually like the dark look
    but what you could do is calculate how much you use when you premix your paint, then add a little more white next time. you could weigh it or just eyeball it.  its maybe an obvious answer though.
    I have the exact opposite problem. my painting always look washed out lol.
    Karl Gnass, who was my painting teacher, is really big on making every decision you do a conscious one. whenever your decisions are conscious you are able to analyze them and use them as a tool rather than being a slave to your impulse or inclinations as an artist.
    Karl would tell me every class, “if you dont stop using so much white I will take it away from you”   LOL.  you could try this.
    Remove black from you pallet and only work in a higher value range. This may help you see with more sensitivity in the higher value ranges

good luck

PatrickSchmidt
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Daniel, that are some good answers, thanks! Taking away my black… you can try 😉 seriously though, I normally do not use black. Just for grisaille practice. But even in color I tend to go too dark. You are right with being more conscious. I know, I am not, because looking at my work after like 30 min of actual painting often presents a completely different picture. And not to my favor. Premixing, in the way of having like black left, white right and a 50/50 mix in the middle is actually a cool idea. A little less tedious than doing a complete grey scale. I will try this. Thank you very much for your input!

Nathan Senevirathne
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

could you please tell me what brushes you are using to sketch here? I know you specifiy your brushes and materials before.But the brushes you are using in this video look very sharp and the lines come out of them effortlessly and they are very precious. My brush marks are so thick. Your brushes make long thin lines easily.

PatrickSchmidt
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Sorry Daniel, for posting and keeping you busy here! Just read in this discussion about the very active NMA discord community. On my part, this is again one more platform I would have to check and I am just over it… 😉 Did the very first two 30 min exercises yesterday. And adding to all those troubles, caused by the time restriction, it is an important lesson for me to… yeah, to just stop! 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.