Susan’s 100 Day on figure, face, sketchbook…

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Susan’s 100 Day on figure, face, sketchbook…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    SuCVSuCV
    Participant
    No points.

I am really busy but found the 100-day challenge helped in the past to keep me drawing.  I have been reading the books Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators and Gesture Drawing Vol 3 by Ryan Woodward. I am particularly drawn to the style of Ryan Wood.  I find in the process there are a lot of similarities to Glenn Vilppu’s approach,  perhaps as they have all worked in the field of animation.  I am focusing on sitting down for at least 15 minutes a day and working through lessons from any of the above-mentioned sources or perhaps doing some drawings while on transit.  Really whatever I can find a way to do throughout my day.  I have enjoyed some of the live courses on NMA and may go back and revisit some weeks and lessons as well.  As a longer-term goal, I would like to finish the Glenn Vilppu gesture drawing and head drawing NMA classes and go through all the lessons in the Force and Wood books. This would take a while.

SuCVSuCV
    Participant
    No points.

Day 1.

Busy week, took me a few extra days to get started. I am going back to the basics, looking at paster cast references while focusing on form and wrapping lines.   I am interested in how line is used to create perspective but also to help define shapes such as the turning edge of the torso.

This is one example of work today.

plaster cast drawing

Tanmay Shah
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Susan.

It is really nice and inspiring to see your work. This study of female torso looks very organic and natural. It seems that even after a break your drawing skills aren’t affected. The shapes are well defined and the structure communicates, especially the pinch of the torso. Really nice drawing and hatching.

Keep up the good work.

SuCVSuCV
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks so much Tanmay! I really appreciate it, it is hard to get back into a practice. Your encouragement really helps.

Day 02 sort of. My Monday/Tuesday days are too long, so it will be a 5 day week for the 100 days for most weeks for me, but sticking too it.

These are a few loose, letting your pencil trace along the figure sort of sketches without much planning or thought.

torso plaster

Torso plaster female

Tanmay Shah
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

These are amazing.

Looking forward to see more

SuCVSuCV
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks Tanmay!  Your support is appreciated.  If you are interested, the exercise  that really helped with my line work is the ‘skating the page’ one from the force books, I will post an example of it.   I practiced it while watching T.V. for about a year (stuck at home:) and was actually very pleased with the results.

Day 03, not a lot of time tonight so just did one drawing without a lot of warmup, but I want to make sure I post something on the five nights I have committed to.

plaster cast female torso

CompositeComposite
    Participant
    No points.

Wow, I admire where you’re at! Maybe after my 100 day challenge, I might be where you started on day 1! Keep up the good work!

SuCVSuCV
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks “Composite”! I appreciate you taking the time to comment, it is very encouraging!! Not quite making a post a day but hopefully after a few weeks the habit will pick up. Sticking to this!! It is interesting to think of what the difference between day 1 and day 100 will be….

toros female plaster cast drawing gesture

SuCVSuCV
    Participant
    No points.

Still day 04

Tried this pose again and tried to up the drama. Still feel I am struggling with it and will most likely come back to it again in the future. I just can’t seem to get feel for the movement in it, but I like the perspective of it.  Keeping with the loose under 2 minute gesture approach for now.

day 04 second try

SuCVSuCV
    Participant
    No points.

Day 05

Starting to work on the skull.  Having difficulty getting into the flow of it today. Maybe tomorrow.

Skull. 01 quick 2 minute sketch

SuCVSuCV
    Participant
    No points.

Day 05

First study of a more complex pose. This is a very quick feeling it out drawing, to figure out the twist and pull.  I plan to keep working on this to refine it down to less lines.

male torso quick study.

SuCVSuCV
    Participant
    No points.

Day 06

Monday is busy day for me, so just did a quick gesture of a leg.  Working on how the gesture lines move over form.

leg gesture.

Luka ArhLuka Arh
    Participant
    No points.

Oh my, what beautiful lines! I mean this last leg is just sexy. I was  thinking that you must be an animator, since the look of your line work is a lot like those of the animators. Then I read your first post. 🙂 But I’m still wondering, are you an animator?
    Keep going these are absolutely gorgeous! 🙂

SuCVSuCV
    Participant
    No points.

Ha!! Thanks so much!! No, I am not an animator but perhaps that is where I am heading.  I am going to follow the 2D live animation course that is coming up, however, I don’t enjoy digital drawing that much, so I am not really sure how I would animate.  We shall see. The Force books by Mike Mattesi were extremely helpful.  He describes what most people call gesture as force, which I was able to understand a lot easier than the more nebulous concept of gesture.  I find (they use different terms) that there is a lot of connections between the force books and Steve Huston’s teaching.  I believe I need to strengthen my anatomy and perspective skills, which are not as much fun.  Thanks for the encouragement.

SuCVSuCV
    Participant
    No points.

Day 07

Busy last couple of days, doing line exercises  on the days I don’t have time to post, so this is keeping me drawing everyday, even if not posting everyday.

male torso

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.