Surreal Painting Feedback

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Surreal Painting Feedback

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    beedeeuniko
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

A surreal painting which I probably will not touch again… unless you guys have suggestions for me 🙂

James
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Wow! I love looking at this piece, beedeeuniko. This has everything I enjoy from surrealism. For example, I’m not sure exactly what’s going on but that’s what excites me about pieces like this! Lots to look at and many stories to be conjured up. Was the green/red color scheme conceptually intentional? What kind of altered state is being communicated? To me, it looks like the man laying down is in a smoke induced-dream state. But I might be looking too much into things. Overall, I really like the organic vs architectural aspects of the piece. The uncertainty of things. The fact that the people (?) in the boat aren’t as detailed as the man lying down. However, I think the smoke could have been a bit more rendered. Is it a thin wafting smoke or big billowing plumes? Is it noxious or aromatic? Maybe it doesn’t matter. But that’s the great thing about surrealism: it’s not realism. It can be as abstract or hyper-real as it wants. Either way, very cool. Very mysterious. Please make lots more! 🙂

beedeeuniko
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey James,
    the red/green scheme came about naturally as the piece progressed. Pieces like this always start with a vague idea in mind and then pretty much develop as I take unconscious decisions on where to take the story as I’m inspired by sth. I did not see in the first place or a sudden association or storytelling took place organically, so I followed along in the process.
    Red/Green might be a bit more intenional as I know that it works being complementary colors and all 🙂
    The altered state, yes, this is either someone sleeping or being absent, maybe an out of body experience I guess.
    The smoke might have induced it or the people in the boat try to waken the figure up.
    Speaking of things to find, if you look carefully there is a toad playing the flute dead center of the composition, hahaha.

The smoke was much more detailed in the beginning, more on the side of billowing plumes, but I somehow got rid of the details again, I guess it created too much tension, but nice observation from your side, I appreciate the feedback.
    At the moment I do not do too many of those surrealist pieces, maybe I’ll post one more here. Take a look at my instagram to see what I’m doing on a daily basis (link in my profile).

Cheers,
    Ciao!
    Ben

beedeeuniko
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Pretty recent piece, more or less unfinished

Annora SchweickertAnnora Schweickert
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

These are really cool

Carlos Perez
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Beedeeuniko¡, the first one remains me to Giorgio de Chirico, i liked the forms as well of the composition and your color palette, I agree with you on continuing to the next painting.

I see your process was Spontaneous, It’s an amazing tool as an artist, I’ve seen great pieces based on the ideas coming from the state of flow tough in terms of developing the image I’d suggest having the Initial idea as clear as possible, and then we use the magic from the state of flow, or listening to our guts.

I personally use the spontaneity to choose or reject a subject matter or a composition, but the initial idea for me has to be clear ( in the case of an image with stages)  I’ve found that useful in my own painting so that i get enough structure to say what i wanted to say and not find myself trapped by super strict rules.

Good to see your work  Mann, let’s keep the painting goin ::)

beedeeuniko
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Carlos,
    yes de Chirico has always been a valuable inspiration to me. I usually work from photo collages which in the end develop to sth. quite different on the canvas but the underlying composition, which was carefully planned, mostly stays intact, while it sometimes vanishes because I was in that bespoke flow state. 🙂

I appreciated your kind words, keep on painting 🙂
    Ciao!
    Ben

Ronald Lamar
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

This has inspired me to give a shot at creating some surrealist art myself.

Thank you very much for sharing, Beedeeuniko!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.