study dump, crits welcome

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique study dump, crits welcome

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Dennis Busch
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi everyone, I’m Dennis and here I’ll dump my studies.

So far I watched some of the Glenn Vilppu Renaissance Figure Drawing videos, then realized my anatomy knowledge was lacking too much for that, so I watched the Rey’s Anatomy series, took notes, learned some muscles/bones/etc… still not always sure what it is that I’m drawing despite being a bit more familiar with the muscles now.

Currently working through the Karl Gnass Figure Drawing The Spirit Of The Pose series.

I figured it can’t hurt to share my studies here as I work through the various videos(forum does not seem overly active but I guess the only way to change that is to just contribute to it…). Constructive criticism always welcome.

These first three were for the assignment of https://www.nma.art/videolessons/figure-drawing-with-karl-gnass-part-5-light-and-tone/ (I took way longer than the 20m for each one… got caught up in details…)

Dennis Busch
    Participant
    No badges. No points.
    Dennis Busch
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

While Today’s attempt (black) at analyzing the forms in Leo’s girl is certainly an improvement over the one from last Friday (red), I think THAT EYE once more fell out of the correct position… must be her gaze that makes me pull it out too far :]

Dennis Busch
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Started the “Portrait Drawing For Beginners” path now because I would like to be able to draw heads well. These were for the first assignment of https://www.nma.art/videolessons/portrait-drawing-for-beginners-part-1-planning-your-portrait/?learningpath=115672 :

Structural problems aside, I also often failed at capturing the thoughts/feelings. Onward to the next lesson…

Dennis Busch
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

drew along to two of the demonstrations (used chalk instead of charcoal) and attempted a bit of rendering after the lay-in to record the “now” state of what I can do, so I can later compare it to what I’ve learned after going through the whole portrait drawing path:

Dennis Busch
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Could not draw much over the past couple of days, common cold knocked me out. The struggle continues… 😀

A ballpoint pen study which did turn out ok and a charcoal lay-in which did not:

more lay-in practice (could not resist shading a bit in one of them):

and more lay-in practice, still having problems finishing within the time constraints and also still fail at accurately capturing proportions/structure/positioning of features:

shading practice… I think my main problem is impatience during the lay-in step, I tend to skip ahead to early, get lost in details before capturing the whole and I start shading too early:

for the assignment in https://www.nma.art/videolessons/portrait-drawing-for-beginners-part-3-rendering/ , were the first drawings I made today right after waking up… should have warmed up with gesture practice first, also struggled with the time limit again, was fighting the texture of the paper most of the time and again failed to capture proportions and structure correctly due to impatience during the lay-in and trying to “wing it” too much by looking at the outside contours first instead of constructing properly from the inside outwards by measuring and checking the angles of the center line and placement of the features first:

Dennis Busch
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

drew this along to watching Demonstration 1 in https://www.nma.art/videolessons/head-drawing-1-with-charles-hu-part-3-light-shadow/ using a FaberCastell Polychromos Sanguine pencil:

Dennis Busch
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

yesterday I made a pixel art version based on the previous drawing:

today I continued to draw along to the demonstrations:

Dennis Busch
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

c.h.anh1317
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Dennis,

i can really see your improvement here, it’s nice to see some active activities of the member in the forum, your works are really encouraging me on following up with the lessons.

Keep up the good work!

Dennis Busch
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks, looking forward to seeing more activity in the forum. I hope to be back on track soon, too many distractions lately.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Great to see your progress. Here are my suggestions:

1. For now stick with a single color in your drawings.

2. You have a heavy hand. Use a softer pencil and train yourself to lay down lines so lightly that only you can perceive them and then build towards your darker values.

3. Your work is very line dominate. For now, try thinking of everything as forms that turn and try to make the form turn more with changes in value that with hard lines.

Dennis Busch
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you for those suggestions, I will try to keep them in mind for the future… the two skull studies below were started before I read them though, so they’re still multi-colored (and the proportions are off in the face regions but I didn’t notice that until late in the rendering process):

To address your suggestions 2 and 3, I decided to start working through the Russian Drawing Course by Iliya Mirochnik, going back to practicing the fundamentals. Here’s my study of the reference photo of John Asaro’s Planes Of The Head Sculpt that was provided in Part 7 of that course:

Lars
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

This is great stuff. The improvement is obvious. Like Joshua said, you seem very line dependent. I won’t say I’m not. I know I am.

Could it perhaps help you to paint more as well? Or to at least draw like you would be painting? Just to get that practice of finding the darks and lights and filling out those values without concern for necessarily encapsulating it with line first.

Anyway. Keep it up. You’re steadily improving =) Very motivating stuff.

Dennis Busch
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks. Yes, painting more would probably help. I do paint occasionally, as with everything, I do not do enough of it. Same old reasons: life, distractions, … 😀

Two more skull studies, this time for the Russian Drawing Course Part 8: The Skull assignment, ref’d from a medical skull model I have (did not draw in any of those seams where the bones connect because I wanted to keep it clean and simple):

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.