Sight-Size Drawing Lesson 3: Intermediate Bargue Plate Project

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Sight-Size Drawing Lesson 3: Intermediate Bargue Plate Project

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

This lesson is the next step of Charles Bargue course. Using the Sight-Size Method, Leo will demonstrate drawing the intermediate Bargue plate.

Academies and ateliers around the world are increasingly teaching an American realist approach to drawing and painting known as sight-size or classical realism.

Hosted by Florence Academy of Art founder Daniel Graves, this massive course is the most comprehensive breakdown of the sight-size approach ever produced online.

By the end of this course, you’ll be an expert in the approach and be ready to take on Sight-Size Painting Course, scheduled for a 2020 release.

Julio Cesar Arruda Germano
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey there,

Something I’ve noticed when trying to draw is a “push and pull” process to my mistakes.
    When I see something wrong and fix it, some other adjacent part of the drawing seems to jump out of proportion, kind of like trying to cover something with a short blanket.

This has been a common thing over all my drawings except when I’m drawing super small.

Any advice on overcoming this? Is it a matter of practicing more?

Loving the demonstrations and fluidity of the course.

Sincerely,

JC

Christian Pan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Yeah, you have to keep everything very very soft and unclear at the early stage of a work.

So it is tolerant of all the inaccurate part. Inaccuracy is human’s advantage, you have to accept it.

The process of your drawing should be making everything from being unclear to clear.

If your every brush stroke is definite and clear when you start a picture, almost every brush stroke is wrong.

Keep it unclear, and always focus on the whole part don’t fall in details when you start.

hope this can help you, thanks.

Julio Cesar Arruda Germano
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Ok.

I’ve been following the demonstration, with drawing sessions spread out over the past 6 days because kids are out of school.
    This is not the first time I try to follow Bargue plates, but the instructions and seeing somebody else do it helps a ton!

Had some trouble with the middle stages of the process, particularly with defining proportions within the boundaries of the drawing, will focus on this aspect on the following plates.
    This is almost finished as I’ve already went over it with the final darkening pass, interestingly enough, seeing it on the computer screens now, all the imperfections arre screaming at my face, I’ll try to correct them and repost once I’m happy with it again.

Best wishes to all!

Sincerely,

JC

Monica Parson
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Does anyone know what kind of wood background he is drawing these pieces on? Is it something you can purchase? Or do you think it’s poplar wood? I’d like to know.

THANKS!

MP

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

That’s just a piece of plywood that I sanded down. I picked them up from the hardward store to prototype an idea of a model sketch pad, and they were on hand when it was time to shoot. Don’t recall the wood type. It’s rather soft. Could be pine.

Tom Corby
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello all, I’ve just started this course and completed the first plate.

I learnt a lot about trusting my eye, being careful about mark pressure and self-critique.

I’m reasonably happy with the measurements, but I did overwork and score the surface in places.

The contrast is off too.

Bargue Plate 1.

Robert Scott
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

seems that video number 8 isn’t loading. I was hoping to view Leo finishing off the drawing. anyone else having this issue?

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Robert, please reach out to “info@nma.art” for technical assistance. I would also suggest clearing your cache, using incognito mode and/or a different browser. please also include a screen shot, url and any other relevant information.

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

The video should be playing now

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.