Sight-Size Drawing Lesson 2: Beginner Bargue Plate Project

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Sight-Size Drawing Lesson 2: Beginner Bargue Plate Project

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In this lesson, Leo helps you get into the basics of academic drawing study; specifically, the Charles Bargue course. You’ll practice copying a beginner Barge plate, along with using the Sight-Size drawing tools – a mirror and a plumb line.

Academies and ateliers around the world are increasingly teaching an American realist approach to drawing and painting known as sight-size or classical realism.

Hosted by Florence Academy of Art founder Daniel Graves, this massive course is the most comprehensive breakdown of the sight-size approach ever produced online.

By the end of this course, you’ll be an expert in the approach and be ready to take on Sight-Size Painting Course, scheduled for a 2020 release.

bart
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey there,

In the first Bargue that he draws, does he start with a soft B pencil and ending the bargue with a H?

I would love it if there’s a transcript/subs with every film (English is not my native-language and it’s way easier to follow everything with subs.)

also it would be great if there would be a short list of steps where now is the lesson text for extra help. Sort of a resume/recap?

thanks!

bart
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

He explains the hardness of the pencil in the next lesson! It’s HB and 2H!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by bart.
    Daylam Fernandez de Castro
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, great course it’s have tremendous value for pe around de world who can’t have this academic lessons like me, here in Perú.

Haveo question about the size of the plates. In the last video Leo says “like my ✋” hahaha or the size of the book that I researched and is ¿25 X 27 cm for the initial plates? But for he more complex ones like those 4 that are in the back ¿it should be bigger? They seems to be bigger.

Thanks!!!

TIMOTHY WILLIAMSON
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Daylam,

I use the plates from the book and I will photocopy them at 150% on bigger paper. The book is actually not very large and if you’re going to do some of the more complex plates, it can very difficult to get all the details in when the image in the book is small. So making them bigger on a photocopier really helps.

I hope that is helpful, I am not an instructor so maybe someone else can chime in.

-Tim

JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

The small size of Bargue Plates in books was a problem for me too.  My printer only prints on letter sized paper, but I found that if you use Adobe Reader  (the free version pdf reader), it has a poster print function.  You can get an image any size you want.  Then Adobe Reader prints it on multiple sheets of letter sized paper which you  tape together.   Here is an example of one I did.   It took me a long time to figure it out but it was so worth it.  Hope this helps.

iangoodsmaniangoodsman
    Participant
    No points.

Jaylene, many thanks for the poster print tip – I had not thought of that. Great study you’ve done there too.

l2.diamante
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I wonder how many bargue drawings are adviceble to do

JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

Not as accurate as I thought…

A little better

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by JayleneJaylene.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by JayleneJaylene.
    JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

CraigKelly
    Participant
    No points.

Am I the only one that can’t find the reference image in the Barque book?

im looking in cours du  Dessin book as well as the plates in maid reference section of this site.

The images at the top of this course is a little dark

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Craig, The references seen in the video are in the reference tab under the video. The instructors art appears dark because it is on toned paper.
    Below is the link to the first Bargue Album, you can navigate through the albums by changing the “1”in the url.  you can also go to “images” to the left of the search bar and scroll down a bit.
    https://www.nma.art/images/complete-bargue-plates-1/
    for example, the reference in this lesson is in the 4th album
    https://www.nma.art/images/complete-bargue-plates-4/

hope this helps

R. Stephen GraceyR. Stephen Gracey
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

What is the resolution of these reference images–I don’t seem to able to find any information, and I’m stuck in the “free trial,” so I can’t download them to see. I just want to know whether they are of suffcient size that I could print them at nearly the original format, 18″x24″. Anyone know?

Stephen

R. Stephen GraceyR. Stephen Gracey
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I invested in an Epson P900 inkjet printer for just this project. Either I’ll be able to use the images from this site, or I’ll take hi-rez photos from the book. I will let you know how it turns out.

Stephen

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.