Self Portrait in Charcoal

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities Self-Portrait Avatar Self Portrait in Charcoal

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    DJMDJM
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

This was an experiment bringing together my experiences with NMA, Watts Atelier, and the ARA. I used a more rigid Bargue-esque lay-in than usual, then switched to a more constructive rhythm method to solidify the drawing. I laid in my tone in a hybrid approach, switching between loose washes and tight hatching.

The entire project was about trying different methods on the same drawing and doing a somewhat polished rendering while keeping it loose and suggestive (I’m not a big fan of hyperrealism). I learned a ton while working on it, and it helped me figure out which styles I prefer or when to switch between them for effect.

Self portrait in charcoal, 18×24

DJMDJM
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Joshua PrescottJoshua Prescott
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Great work. That light on your left eye really makes you wonder what’s caught your attention.

Marta KitkaMarta Kitka
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Wow, this has a really nice mood.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

This one got my attention from the top row thumbnails. Interesting technique and intense mood. Well done.

DJMDJM
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks for the kind words, folks! It was my second portrait in charcoal but I’ve done a couple in oils, too.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.