Sculptures Self-Portrait

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities Self-Portrait Avatar Sculptures Self-Portrait

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Beth BarnardBeth Barnard
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Sculptured Self-Portrait

Beth BarnardBeth Barnard
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

February marked my third year learning to sculpt on a whim at 63. I only wish sculpting had been on my radar earlier in life. So far I’ve been to a lot of Open Studios but have only taken one official in-person lesson. Within the last year, I’ve ordered a workshop video on learning how to make a skull with Andrew Cawrse and have taken a video course on anatomy from Amelia Rowcraft’s masterclass series.

Sculpting a self-portrait at 66 is a rather humbling experience, as we’re all used to seeing stellar sleek models, but instead of getting hung-up on vanity (of which I have plenty), I decided to think of the extra marks of aging as an artistic challenge and included the extra long Covid non-haircut. No mask though and am just glad that I only have to sculpt my head, lol.

Beth BarnardBeth Barnard
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Here is the finished self-portrait after watching a video and using calipers. I think I look like an aging country music star who is trying to look young. Maybe it’s the Covid non-haircut or living too long in Nashville.

I had difficulty getting the eyes to look symmetrical and may keep plugging away at it.

Finished self-portrait

Diane CameronDiane Cameron
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Very expressive! This is a very successful portrait/sculpture. It feels very real. If anything, I’d say that the eyes look a bit flat (maybe the outside edges should be a bit deeper?) but if you hadn’t said anything about the eyes I probably wouldn’t have noticed. Keep at it—this is obviously a good medium for you and you have something to say through it.

Beth BarnardBeth Barnard
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks so much, Diane! I appreciate all of your feedback, especially about the eyes. I may keep plugging away at them.

BTW, you have quite an impressive website! It’s new for me to think of myself as an artist, especially compared to someone like yourself with such a wealth of experience.

Thanks again.

With best wishes,

Beth

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Beth, nice of you to check out my website. I sometimes wonder whether anyone looks at it but I enjoy adding to it and trying to improve it. Did you use photos to do your sculpture or mirrors? I do some sculpture but I’ve never tried a self-portrait. I tend to stick to 2D because it’s easier to express my ideas but I’ll get back into sculpture one of these days.
    Diane

Beth BarnardBeth Barnard
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I used photos for the portrait, including 45 degree angle photos. After I finished the first attempt, I realized that I could hang a mirror on the wall (duh) and took a photo of myself next to the statue but as I started working on it again, I went back to photos.  I guess it’s because it’s easier to see profiles with a photo.

Your feedback helped and I changed the eyes the other night. I’ll see if I can upload the latest and last version. Unfortunately after I finished the eyes, I added bangs again which I regret, but I’m just…done, if you know what I mean.

Hope you get a chance to return to sculpture if you want to, but your 2D work is great! It’s fun to see the collection of your work. I don’t have a website yet, but I communicate with other artists on Instagram. My site there is Wannabesculpting.

Last sculptured version

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Beth, I just sent you a message on Instagram. I’m @artemis609. Your NMA participant image is sideways for some reason, at least that’s what I see.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.