Russian Drawing Course Part 6: Still Life Project

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Russian Drawing Course Part 6: Still Life Project

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Join Ukrainian-born artist Iliya Mirochnik as he passes on a 250-year-old academic method preserved at the Repin Academy in Saint Petersburg, Russia and seldom taught outside of the Academy and never before on camera.

The Russian Academic drawing and painting approaches were uninterrupted by the modern art movements that transformed representational art in the West, and as a result, they provide a unique and clear lineage to the greater art traditions of the past. As a powerful approach that is both constructive and depictive, it combines the two methods that prevail in contemporary representational art.

In these three drawing Courses, we have set out to condense the entire program, spanning over eight years into a logical, step-by-step procedure. We have made improvements and added resources and exercises to explicitly drive home the concepts that are required to work in this approach.

We have also structured the course so that it is not only useful for professional and experienced artists but also artists with no drawing experience whatsoever.

The first course: the Fundamentals is our most comprehensive beginner-level course to date, including everything you need to get started.

In this lesson, you will be putting together all of the skills you have learned thus far. Your project will be to draw a still life, consisting of geometric forms arranged in an interesting group. Your skills at construction, measuring, and building up value in order to create the illusion of three-dimensional form will all be put to the test. Iliya will demonstrate the project first and you will then work on your version from home.

The New Masters Academy Coaching Program directly supports this Course. If you enroll in the coaching program, you can request an artist trained in the Russian Academic Method including Iliya Mirochnik himself. Click here to enroll in the Coaching Program.

Materials

• Graphite pencils
    • Kneaded and Hard Erasers
    • Sanding Block
    • Utility Knife
    • Roll of Paper, Smooth Sketchbook paper
    • Staples
    • Staple gun
    • Artist panel
    • Easel
    • Light source
    Nicolas WilliamsNicolas Williams
    Participant
    No points.

Loving this course, thank you!

Miguel Arosemena
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

hello there, I have an especific question, and it is about the occlusion shadows. where they appear?  are they when an object is near to other  both immersed in a cast shadow?  thank you!!

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Miguel, some one else might have a better definition, but the way I think of this is that the occlusion shadow is the part of the cast shadow that doesn’t get ambient light. Just a pure shadow

Harsimranjeet Kaur SidhuHarsimranjeet Kaur Sidhu
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello there!
    I tried to draw from the reference for the Geometric Still Life lesson and this is what I could manage to do. I used Strathmore Series 300 paper (toned grey) and Royal and Langnickel charcoal pencil (medium grade) and General white charcoal pencil for highlights. I cannot figure out if the values and tones are correct. I would really appreciate any feedback, any criticism on this drawing.Geometric Still Life Practice

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

hi harsimranjeet, This is looking great!

Here are some things I noticed:

The core shadow on top of the cylinder could be softened a bit, harsh/quick transitions suggest a plane change, like the edge of a box, we want to see that it is round. here it looks like the top has been cut away.
    I see you added a value change on the  circular face of the cylinder. while their may be a value change there, in realty it is incredibly subtle and quite difficult to capture, the best practice is to leave the face as a single value. The same thing goes for the top of the nonagonal prism.

My advice is keep it simple. Keep the planes one value unless the catch a cast shadow. Or try using graphite and working bigger like Iliya and follow along mark by mark so you can more accurately capture what he is doing

I hope this helps

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Also, its easier to get critiques in the open critique channels or on Discord
    https://discord.gg/nKuDExysyW

Harsimranjeet Kaur SidhuHarsimranjeet Kaur Sidhu
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you so much Sir. This was really helpful.

Alexandra Mayorova
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Не могу поверить, что сделала это. Спасибо преподавателю, у Ильи замечательный английский, замечательные объяснения!

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Wow,Фантастика work Alexandra!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.