Russian Drawing Course Part 4: Geometric Forms

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Russian Drawing Course Part 4: Geometric Forms

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Join Ukrainian-born artist Iliya Mirochnik as he passes on a 250-year-old academic method preserved at the Repin Academy in Saint Petersburg, Russia and seldom taught outside of the Academy and never before on camera.

The Russian Academic drawing and painting approaches were uninterrupted by the modern art movements that transformed representational art in the West, and as a result, they provide a unique and clear lineage to the greater art traditions of the past. As a powerful approach that is both constructive and depictive, it combines the two methods that prevail in contemporary representational art.

In these three drawing Courses, we have set out to condense the entire program, spanning over eight years into a logical, step-by-step procedure. We have made improvements and added resources and exercises to explicitly drive home the concepts that are required to work in this approach.

We have also structured the course so that it is not only useful for professional and experienced artists but also artists with no drawing experience whatsoever.

The first course: the Fundamentals is our most comprehensive beginner-level course to date, including everything you need to get started.

In this lesson, Iliya will train you on one of the most important elements in the Russian drawing approach: form. Using simple geometric forms, you will learn how to correctly describe three-dimensional volume in your work.

You will learn how to draw the cube, cylinder, and cone from observation as well as how to construct these forms from imagination. Then you will combine both approaches and construct the forms from observation.

The New Masters Academy Coaching Program directly supports this Course. If you enroll in the coaching program, you can request an artist trained in the Russian Academic Method including Iliya Mirochnik himself. Click here to enroll in the Coaching Program.

Materials

• Graphite pencils
    • Kneaded and Hard Erasers
    • Sanding Block
    • Utility Knife
    • Roll of Paper, Smooth Sketchbook paper
    • Staples
    • Staple gun
    • Easel
    • Light source
    anya
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Dear Illiya, Thank you so much for your wonderful lessons. I am getting a huge amount of knowledge out of them and feel very lucky to have you as a teacher.  Chapter 5 drawing the cylinder. Don’t you need to take a comparative measurement of the square after you have the initial angles to make sure your cylinder is in correct perspective? Chapter 16 drawing the cone. When you truncate the cone at an angle shouldn’t the axis be the same as the full cone? Thank you Anya Yeatman

Kankan Das
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Sir, I’m having a little bit of trouble in constructing the cylinder… Actually, it is happening when I’m using a live cylindrical object to measure perspective….. Help is kindly requested…

marcin.mucha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

This method of constructing the circle is not really correct. Imagine dividing the square horizontally and vertically into 16 pieces. Then the radius is 8. But the 8 points you marked are at a distance sqrt(4^2+7^2)=sqrt(65)>8 from the center, so they are just a tiny bit too far. I guess they could be good guidelines, cause the difference is very tiny, just remember to go sligtly closer to the center.

Koncar
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

One small note: I believe that in this videos the term ‘ellipse’ is not used properly – ellipse can be cut in two symmetric parts.
    I am not a native English speaker, but I believe that when Illiya uses the term ‘ellipse’ it should be understood as ‘oval’.

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Koncar, I dont think its intuitive, but a circle in perspective is generally considered a conic section (an ellipse).
    The confusion may be that the major and minor axis are not always the tangent points
    There is still some debate about this, but you can find more information by searching “circle in perspective conic section proof” and include the term “projection”
    some of these can get math heavy
    I hope this is useful

https://www.math.utah.edu/~treiberg/Perspect/Perspect.htm

Daniel Cairns
    Participant
    No points.

So Iliya’s top ellipse fits into his cylinder seven times, for a total of eight “sections.” Dividing our rectangles into eighths is pretty easy—just cut it half three times, right?
    What about when my top ellipse fits into my cylinder 10 times, for a total of 11 “sections?” Do I divide my rectangle into 11ths? Is there a quick and easy way to do this? I feel like I’m spending more time with the math of this project than the actual drawing.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Daniel, As a rule of thumb I recommend that you start by dividing it in half first, then subdivide so you will always have even sections. That way you have less to think about.
    But for me to better understand your question, can you please share the chapter number and time stamp?
    I’m not sure what you mean by the top ellipse fitting into the cylinder 7 times, do you mean cross sections?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle.
    Brittney BachBrittney Bach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I can’t tell which sides he’s measuring with on the box with the sticks. He holds two at a time but I can’t hold them both together.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Is there an easier way to remember all these lines? I’m confused. Is he drawing lines from each corner of the quadrants to build an ellipse or not?

Participant
    No badges. No points.

What does truncate mean?

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Brittney, Truncate means to shorten, typically by removing the top.
    Think of a tree that gets chopped down, its would be truncated. hence tree-trunk.

if you were to truncate a cone it would look like a tapered cylinder
    The pyramids have been truncated when they lost their golden caps
    if you were to truncate a sphere it would have a flat spot

hope this helps

Participant
    No badges. No points.

doing this assignment is beyond frustrating 😒

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Brittney, I recommend practicing value scales like this
    you could start with 3 tones. dark med and light
    then keep subdividing until you get to 9 values
    keep in mind that 123 are grouped as dark, 456 are grouped as mid tones, and 789 are highlights

Also remember that the core shadow is not sharp, Its smooth transition
    just like the space between day and night on earth, there is sunset and sunrise where its in-between day and night
    I hope this helps 🙂

Brandon WilsonBrandon Wilson
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I believe that this is the holy grail of drawing courses. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us. I have yet to see any other instruction that so clearly demonstrates the basic skills well enough to move on to the next level. The explanation of measuring proportions,  building structures, sharpening the pencil, preparing the paper…. everything in this course is so valuable. I can’t wait to completely immerse myself in practicing all 90+ hours of this course. Looking forward to seeing your Russian painting class hopefully soon! I feel like if I can master these techniques I can make a living doing this for sure.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.