Russian Drawing Course Part 2: An Introduction to Mark-Making

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Russian Drawing Course Part 2: An Introduction to Mark-Making

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Join Ukrainian-born artist Iliya Mirochnik as he passes on a 250-year-old academic method preserved at the Repin Academy in Saint Petersburg, Russia and seldom taught outside of the Academy and never before on camera.

The Russian Academic drawing and painting approaches were uninterrupted by the modern art movements that transformed representational art in the West, and as a result, they provide a unique and clear lineage to the greater art traditions of the past. As a powerful approach that is both constructive and depictive, it combines the two methods that prevail in contemporary representational art.

In these three drawing Courses, we have set out to condense the entire program, spanning over eight years into a logical, step-by-step procedure. We have made improvements and added resources and exercises to explicitly drive home the concepts that are required to work in this approach.

We have also structured the course so that it is not only useful for professional and experienced artists but also artists with no drawing experience whatsoever.

The first course: the Fundamentals is our most comprehensive beginner-level course to date, including everything you need to get started.

In this second lesson, Iliya shows you the necessary marks that you will need to master for drawing. You will learn how to create straight and curved lines, point-to-point lines, flat tones, hatch marks, and a combination. Special attention is given to assignments that reinforce hand and eye as well as pressure control.

The New Masters Academy Coaching Program directly supports this Course. If you enroll in the coaching program, you can request an artist trained in the Russian Academic Method including Iliya Mirochnik himself. Click here to enroll in the Coaching Program.

Materials

• Graphite pencils
    • Kneaded and Hard Erasers
    • Sharpening Stone
    • Utility Knife
    • Roll of Paper, Smooth Sketchbook paper
    • Staples
    • Staple gun
    • Easel
    • Light source
    PamelaBarnhart
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

one thing that helps me on this second assignment, straight lines is to focus on the second point I’m aiming at not on my pencil while i’m drawing.  Success rate is much higher when I do this.

SasaVucic
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Iliya Mirochnik. You have picked the right teaching approach to assume that the person viewing the video does not know the basics. I have discovered my grasp was terrible on fundamentals on drawing. Probably, resulting from bad habits, and your lessons have helped me improve my drawings skills immensely. These lessons are extremely helpful.

Jacob Alexander
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I too would like to thank you concerning the approach. I found that the fundamentals that you have taught were challenging to me and I realized that I have so much to work on.  Thank you for these helpful lessons.

Luna
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Nice lessons on the fundamentals!

Yael Kane
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

that first reply with the tip on focusing on the second point is excellent!! helped me so much. thank you Pamela!

Jon Novick
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Should I be hatching with an overhand grip?

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Jon, I have found that the size of the hatching determines how I hold the pencil. With smaller strokes I use a writing hand grip and with larger marks, using the full arm, I use an overhand grip.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

You can choose. Iliya uses overhand. I would use underhand even doing this technique. I agree with Debra, that is also depends on the size of the work.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.