Russian Drawing Course Part 1: Materials & Set-Up

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Russian Drawing Course Part 1: Materials & Set-Up

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Paula Simoes
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Joshua , this is very helpful for me,

Meanwhile I did some “research” and learned that if the paper is heavy enough, you dont have to stretch it, because it wont buckle.  Forgive me everyone for I was wrong on my first post.

I’m still doing tha basic lessons but I,m already loving the course and already learn so much. I,m having fun practicing and hope to post something for critique in a week or two…or three…a sphere or something like that, dont expect much more for now…

I signed up NMA because of this course and Iliya. I’m glad I did it, Im loving it…

I looked other courses that seam great also, but this one is enough for now

Thank you very much ( and forgive any misspelled word).

Regards everyone

Laurie Hellewell
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Could someone please clarify what size cradled panel is needed. In the video, it looked about the size of the 18×24 sketch pad but that wouldn’t make much sense with the 36″ rolled paper because there would be a lot of waste. Thanks very much!

Becca Young
    Participant
    No points.

I am brand new to the stretched paper and panel.  I have never even heard of it!  Do we take the paper off when we are done?  Do I need to buy a new panel for each piece?  Is there a difference between an art panel, painting panel, cradle panel?  I am trying to find the cheapest option so I can experience the class fully.  I have put off buying these tools, but now I am at the lesson where I should have it. Thank you for this class!

Raven Shadowz
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

The roll of paper that I only can find is over 40″, does anyone know where to get a smaller width?

Iliya MirochnikIliya Mirochnik
    Participant
    Instructor Badge
    No points.

Hi guys!

Ok so let me address all of your questions.

1. Paula, the weight of the paper does make a difference, and it is true that really heavy paper, like 140 lbs watercolor paper can withstand a lot more water without buckling. That said, almost all paper will and stretching totally eliminates that problem, because if it does buckle, it’ll just re-stretch as it dries, plus it gives you a nice solid and sturdy surface to work on.

2. Laurie, the sizes of the panels I use are 18×24 for the portrait, 24×48 for the figure and then a much larger panel for the double figure. Basically, a 16×20 or 18×24 is perfect for the portrait and any panel which is 2 squares in height ( length is twice the width) will work for the standing (and even upright sitting) figure.

3. Becca, the panels are completely reusable. All you have to do is carefully cut out the drawing along it’s perimeter and remove the paper still left on the sides (I would remove the staples every 2-3 stretches). The cheapest option would actually be to make one yourself. It doesn’t take a lot handywork, as you can go to Home Depot or Lowe’s and have them cut the Masonite and 1×2’s to size. but either way, it’s an investment, because as I said, they last.

4. Raven, the size of the roll of paper only needs to be about 3-5 inches wider than the width of your panel and I’ve seen many different rolls.

I hope this helps. Feel free to post more questions and I’ll get to them as soon as I can. Thank you so much for investing your time in my course, it really means a lot to hear about your positive experience (but don’t hold back on the negatives either as we’re always looking to make things better!)

Best Regards,

Iliya

Raven Shadowz
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi IIiya,

Thank you very much for all the replies, this means a lot to me.  If I understand it correctly, on Paula’s question, that you are suggesting we use the 140 lbs watercolour paper.   For your answer to Laurie’s question, for the double figure a 36 x 72 panel would be the best size to either make or buy.

I will do some more online research for different width rolls, we do not have any artist stores where I live, so I have to do all my art supply shopping online.

I do have one question, my biggest weakness right now is proportion, I’m still looking at your artist material videos so far.  So my question is this, at what point in the lessons do you start teaching proportions? Please and thank you.

I very much look forward to your lessons and your unique way of teaching, your course is why I bought a subscription.   From time to time will you critique drawings in that are left in this comments section?  It’s very important to learn that way.

Kind regards,

Raven 🙂

Raven Shadowz
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi lliya,

How many drawings will we do on the 18×24 panel before moving to the next size?

Iliya MirochnikIliya Mirochnik
    Participant
    Instructor Badge
    No points.

Hi Raven,

For the paper I’m not actually suggesting the 140lbs watercolor paper, although depending on the company that could be good paper. The advantage of stretching is that you could use relatively thin paper and get similar results. You’ll have to experiment, but from my experience, any paper can be stretched. I would recommend The Strathmore Mixed Media. It’s a good thickness and relatively smooth.

As for proportions, basically, all I can say is stick with it and you’ll see yourself improve in that department. In a sense, I don’t teach them directly, we don’t count heads, or remember ratios because I think that’s all needlessly confusing and most often impossible to apply correctly. That said, knowing those things is helpful and you can find that in many good books. Paul Richer is my go to for proportions. But, that said, the whole measuring of angles exercises, is in fact a way to get proportions. Later, when we draw boxes for the rib cage and pelvis, the proportions of the boxes themselves are discussed, as well as the spaces between them. That’s how I teach proportions, and I think it works. Let me know!

Yes, I regularly visit the forums and comment on work so I’ll look forward to seeing yours.

In the course, one drawing is done on the 18×24 board, but I recommend you do at least 2-3 more portraits before moving on from the NMA reference library.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Iliya

Raven Shadowz
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Iliya,

Thank you very much for your answers, your answers do help. 🙂

Raven

Jaelen Richburg
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

hello, i am ready for my drawing class.

Raven Shadowz
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Iliya,

Did you also study oil painting, and if so will you have a Russian Painting Course in the future?

Natalie MontelongoNatalie Montelongo
    Keymaster
    Administrator Badge
    No points.

@RavenShadowz NMA has plans to record a Russian Painting Course with Iliya! 🙂

Raven Shadowz
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@Natalie Montelongo.

Thank you very much! 🙂

Jonathan Criner
    Participant
    No points.

I started this course today, and I did not skip the five pages of tonal drawings, although I did not get them done yet (I spent 30 minutes on one page after working on a computer for 8 hours, it was actually a little tiring on the wrist).  I’m finding the lined paper has imperfections, but in general the tone is smooth.  I would say I’m good, except that I have been struggling with tonal rendering in figure drawing, I kind of assume I am not. I’m also noticing that my old eyes are a challenge (too close I need reading glasses, too far I can’t wear the glasses, but can’t see the details, it’s hard to shift back and forth), so that is fun trying keep everything in control.  Strangely, I got the dot-to-dot thing down pretty quickly.  I expected to struggle with that as well.

I’m looking forward to this course, and the portrait and figure drawing courses that follow.

Yonatan Benaroche
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

HI!
    in the video he didn”t mentioned all the different types of pencils.. can you get more detailed about it?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.