Russian Drawing Course Part 1: Materials & Set-Up

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Russian Drawing Course Part 1: Materials & Set-Up

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Join Ukrainian-born artist Iliya Mirochnik as he passes on a 250-year-old academic method preserved at the Repin Academy in Saint Petersburg, Russia and seldom taught outside of the Academy and never before on camera.

The Russian Academic drawing and painting approaches were uninterrupted by the modern art movements that transformed representational art in the West, and as a result, they provides a unique and clear lineage to the greater art traditions of the past. As a powerful approach that is both constructive and depictive, it combines the two methods that prevail in contemporary representational art.

In these three drawing Courses, we have set out to condense the entire program, spanning over eight years into a logical, step-by-step procedure. We have made improvements and added resources and exercises to explicitly drive home the concepts that are required to work in this approach.

We have also structured the course so that it is not only useful for professional and experienced artists but also artists with no drawing experience whatsoever.

The first course: the Fundamentals is our most comprehensive beginner-level course to date, including everything you need to get started.

This first lesson covers materials you will need for the duration of the course including pencils, erasers, papers, and other utensils and tools. Iliya will also go over your home set-up trying to provide a range of possibilities wherever possible.

The New Masters Academy Coaching Program directly supports this Course. If you enroll in the coaching program, you can request an artist trained in the Russian Academic Method including Iliya Mirochnik himself. Click here to enroll in the Coaching Program.

Materials

• Graphite pencils
    • Kneaded and Hard Erasers
    • Sharpening Stone
    • Utility Knife
    • Roll of Paper, Smooth Sketchbook paper
    • Staples
    • Staple gun
    • Easel
    • Light source
    Mara B.Mara B.
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

What a great idea. Looking forward to this course! Thanks Iliya & nma!

RachelBonnettRachelBonnett
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Oh my goodness I cannot wait!

THANK YOU!!

isaackevs
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

sounds amazing

CesarAndrade
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

hi everyone, currently gathering my materials, and was wondering if a light duty staple gun is enough? my panel’s frame is made of poplar and the face is birch.

rbivana
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Im just wondering why is it necessary to staple in a paper to the board. Why is taping it in not enough? Thanks, Ivana

CesarAndrade
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi ivana, personally, I think it’s because of the water, you would need a pretty strong and waterproof tape i’d assume. Having progressed through the course, and having acquired a heavy duty stapler with 3/8 staples, i found no issues even on hardwood. IT is also quite a bit cheaper than rolls of tape in the long run, but if i were you, I would experiment with whatever tape I had in hand and hurry to the meat of the course: the drawing.

rbivana
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

makes sense. thank you!

brian rivera
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I wanted to confirm, is this a strathmore mixed media 400 roll?

Paula Simoes
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Brian, thats a good question…I also don’t know but the one for Heavyweight drawing seems to be too thin  to be wetted and stratched.. So you are probabilly right. I don´t have strahmore here in Lisbon, so I,m getting the Accademia Fabriano with 200gr/m2 or maybe the watercolour Fabriano with 300gr/m2… the prices are totally diferent, though. So maybe i’ll wait a bit more and hope someone ansewrs your question. ( Anyway, my drawings are going to hit the trash bin for the next months …years….no matter what paper i use). Good luck and have fun…

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

This is strathmore 400. We picked it up at a local art store but it can be ordered as well.

brian rivera
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Joshua,

Not to be a pest about this but there are quite a few styles of 400 series rolls.

Could you confirm which one exactly… some times paper quality can affect the technique you effect your trying to achieve  https://www.strathmoreartist.com/fine-art-rolls.html

brian rivera
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Yes, that style is thin  I hoped they had the Bristol roll but cant find that one is pretty thick… I hope we can get clarity on this. Btw, keep your work… it’s good to see your progress, good luck

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

I double checked with Iliya. He says go for the heavy 400 roll.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo.
    brian rivera
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Excellent, thank you Joshua. Also, just wanted to mention how awesome it is that you keep up with the forum posts. Great work!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.