Russian Academic Course Assignments

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Russian Academic Course Assignments

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi all,

I am currently working through the Russian course, which has been challenging for me, but I have seen my artistic skills improve a fair bit since starting the course.

I am currently up to the Neck section of the course. I have completed all the assignments up to that point, expect for my final two 3D viewer Goldfinger deep muscles of the face studies.

I am beginning to feel a bit stuck with assessing my own work, so I would appreciate any kind of feedback on these studies. They are the most recent ones I have completed. Thanks in advance for your help.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Another skull study and more recent Goldfinger cast drawings

JessicaJessica
    Participant
    No points.

I’m slowly working through the Russian course myself.  I paused in the skeletal portion of the head because I found I wasn’t quite grasping the connection of the maxillary to zygomatic and the frontal bone.  I sort of “exploded” a few of the skull models I used in order to focus on each bone and their connection to each other. I found that really helped with the most recent study that I finished.

I haven’t really studied the muscular portion yet so I can’t say much on that other than I think your rendering and hatching technique is really great.  Just a few comments, on the skulls which again, I love your hatching.

I just marked up a few areas on the skulls that you may want to look over some more.  Not having your references in front of me, this is just based on what I’m noticing from different skull models, text books, and the Russian Course. On the first one, the blue is the Temporal portion with the red being the Zygomatic.  I would just say that it looks like the zygomatic process is part of the zygomatic, but it’s actually the connection from the temporal.  In the second skull, I outlined approximately where the zygomatic would be.  It should jut forward more along the orbital area and then come down.  I don’t know if this is helpful. 🙂 Great studies!

JessicaJessica
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Josseline, I apologize if this is a double post.  It didn’t seem to go through the first time.

I’m working through the Russian course as well.  I am paused at the skeleton of the head at the moment to make sure I really understand the connections and shapes of the bones.  One of the exercises I recently did was to “explode” the skull when I drew it to focus on each bone while still seeing how each relate to each other.  I found it really helpful.

Because I haven’t work on the muscular portion I don’t have any help on that, but I did look at your skulls and had a couple of notes.  This is just based on what I’m learning of the structure and what seems typical for most skulls.

On the first skull, I just wanted to point out that in blue is the Temporal Bone.  The way it’s drawn almost looks as though that zygomatic process is coming from the zygomatic, but it’s actually a part of the temporal bone.  On the second skull, I emphasized the portion in red that should encompass the zygomatic.  I hope this helps. 🙂

Iliya MirochnikIliya Mirochnik
    Participant
    Instructor Badge
    No points.

Hi Josseline,

Thank you so much for doing my course! I sketched out some basic corrections to the proportions, axes, and a couple of important plane changes. I think that some of your values are actually a little too subtle. I would try to find the big light and shadow, kind of like what you’re doing in the écorché head. It will remove some of the (for now) unnecessary challenges and allow you to focus on a more obvious depiction of the form.

I hope this helps! Keep up the good work and I’ll be checking in on your posts to comment and add corrections.

Best,

Iliya

Joey Huynh
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi. First post on NMA. I’ve always wanted to learn about Russian academic drawing and really enjoying so far. Happy to get crit, otherwise I’ll just keep plugging away! Joey

Donatella Taghetti
    Participant
    No points.

tridimensional head
    hello, i have been tryng to follow the lesson of Russian drowing artisti Iliya and i really appreciate his methode. Love when he talk while he drow to tell what is going on. great. i learn a lot from him.
    I m not happy about this drow, but i m happy about the knowledge that i get from this lesson.
    I will do it again until i feel more satisfait, i see all the mistake i have made.. :-))))

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi @Jessica . Thank you for your feedback! How are you finding the course so far? What lesson and assignments are you working through now? I haven’t done enough of drawings to explore the articulations more closely and specifically, so thank you for sharing that to remind me I should do more! Thanks for the draw overs too. For the zygomatic process, yes I can see what you mean, Iliya drew the same. I confused myself with trying to remember all the various zygomatic processes! I checked and I believe it is correct to say there’s one for the temporal, frontal and maxilla bone. Thanks again!

Hi @iliyamirochnik . I am very grateful for you taking the time to provide critique and feedback on my drawings – thank you! I find the corrections for the proportions, axes and plane changes all very useful. I find myself not remembering often enough to look at and take in the whole drawing! I agree with the values. I was trying to see if I could get away with less contrast, so setting the minor key more on the lower end, but I did find it difficult to depict form well. I shall definitely make the focus more of the depiction on form for the meantime. Oh, and I’m currently up to the portrait! I am working along with the lesson to get an idea of how to approach the assignment. I’m not so good at handling Conte as a medium, but I’m sure with time and practice it will improve. Thaks again!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.