Rendering Techniques

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Rendering Techniques

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In this lesson, you will learn from master illustrator Mark Westermoe the techniques for creating texture in a drawing. You will also study how master draughtspeople such as Charles Danna Gibson and Fortunino Matania utilize different rendering techniques in their work.

This lesson belongs to the course The Beginner’s Guide to Drawing. It is a 12-week course designed to empower new students with a structured approach for learning how to draw. Join instructors Steve Huston, Chris Legaspi, Heather Lenefski, Bill Perkins, and Mark Westermoe as you learn the fundamentals of perspective, rendering, and composition. After completing this course, you will develop a solid foundation in drawing.

Throughout this course, you’ll have access to the NMA community for feedback and critiques to improve your work as you progress.

Sam Pollard
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Lesson 3 is a duplicate of lesson 2?

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Thank you for pointing this out Sam, we are working on this as we speak 😀

Kirils Kirillovs
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Chapter 2 screen just turns black at 18:25 and for next 3 minutes there’s nothing

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Kirils, we are working to resolve this 🙂

Teresa Muinelo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi,

I don’t  know if here is the right place to ask, but I have a doubt with materials. In Week 5 the instructor refers to wax pencil. What is it exactly? Is it conté or pastel?

Thank you in advance, I am loving the course,

Teresa

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Teresa, I could not find the mention of wax pencil, but they may be talking about a grease pencil aka china marker.
    could you send a screen shot, time stamp or anything else that might help me find that part of the video?

Teresa Muinelo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Daniel,

The mention is in Week 5, chapter 2 (Using hatching and texture to create value) of the course Beginners` guide to drawing, 00:39. I think that your answer helped already. I have an oil pencil from Faber Castell and I wanted to know if it was the same. It can be called a grease or oil pencil indistinctly?

Thank you very much,

Teresa

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

ok I see now, He is using a prisma color pencil.

From what I can tell, oil based and wax based are not the same. the grease pencil actually has a wax binder rather than oil, which is confusing. When you google oil pencil, you may get returns of wax pencils which adds to the confusion.
    I’m not sure how differently they behave, but its worth testing out.

I hope this helps

Teresa Muinelo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks, Daniel, it helped. Yeah, when I googled both I got more confused…

I’ll try what I have and I tried to find to a wax pencil.

Thanks again!

Lola Slade
    Participant
    No points.

Hello,

I have two questions about this chapter.

1. In chapter 5 Bill mentions, “Norman Rockwell wrote a chapter in the famous artists course called the importance of detail.”  I haven’t found any courses by Rockwell by doing a Google search. I was wondering if we can find out what course or book this was?
    2. Some of the frottage examples or rubbings are done onto tracing paper. I am wondering what the suggestion is to get them onto heavyweight paper afterwards? Copy them? Trace again and use a graphite sheet?
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Lola, I don’t have the answer to your question, but you might have better luck on our discord server.  i recommend the channel #traditional-tools-and-techniques for question 2)
    you can find the link to discord at the top of the page 🙂

Alexander Alexis
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Assignment 1:

assignment 1

Assignment 2:

assignment 2

Ethel
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

The lesson materials in this lesson (week 6) doesn’t appear to be accurate – the video mentions wax pencils several times (including white & black), water-based gouache (as opposed to acrylic gouache), verithin, tissue paper & pastel stick which are not listed in the materials list. Close-ups of the sample work would be helpful as well.

Also is there somewhere we are to post assignments for review?

Thanks very much!

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Ethel, after looking at the Assignment PDF and The Materials List, it appears as though you have the option to use any of the listed mediums. Im not so sure specific materials are so important for this lesson as the nuanced differences may not become apparent for this use case. With that said, I have forwarded your concerns to the education coordinators, so that they may better assess.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.