Potrait sketch of a friend

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Potrait sketch of a friend

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    srsanyal
    Participant
    No points.

Pencil and charcoalPotrait

Any feedback and comments would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello Srsanyal,

I see a lot of good things working here, such as the hair, and the clear side plane of the head. Good job on the details of the ears, eyes, nose, mouth, and teeth. The largest criticism I have is that the proportions seem off somewhere. I haven’t seen a photo of your friend, so I could be wrong, but that is the impression I got when I first looked at it. Keep up the good work. I like how you handled the shadows on the shirt.

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

portrait drawover

You need to watch how things line up in perspective.  Drawing lines from the bottom of the ears, the corner of the mouth, the bottom of the chin, bottom of the nose, eyebrows and eyes, those lines should all be parallel or slightly converging to the right since his head is turned slightly.  The eyes are a little off.  He could be raising his left eyebrow which would throw off the eyebrow line.  Also, verticals from the corners of the eye should line up at the same place on either side of the mouth or nose.

Nice shading.

srsanyal
    Participant
    No points.

Reference photoHi Erikdennes
    Thank you so very much for the feedback.Yes,i agree about those basic constructive lines you pointed out.I tried initially keeping these in mind but i need to obviously practice a lot more to keep these alignments correct.
    I appreciate your valuable comments.

Hi Bryan
    Thank you for your kind comments.
    Yes i do believe somewhere things went wrong and i lost the likeness of my friend’s face.

With his consent i am uploading his photograph which i used as reference.

Any further opinion or suggestiond on this ,would be much appreciated.

Regards
    Sanyal

srsanyal
    Participant
    No points.

Would you be able to suggest which is the ideal course for potrait sketch on NMA?
    There are just too many good courses and at times it becomes overwhelming ,getting confused where to stsrt with?

Regards
    Sanyal

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Starting out, I would recommend Chris Legaspi’s portrait series.  He starts very simply showing basic block in techniques, and composition thumbnails moves on from there.  After that, Vilppu’s videos are great, and the portrait part of the Russian Drawing course.

Good Luck,

Erik

srsanyal
    Participant
    No points.

Many Thanks,helpful.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.