portrait of dorian

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique portrait of dorian

• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Eden.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ratnakar Kamat
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello respected instructors and my dear friends. I would like to take your opinion on mydorian recent drawing that i did of Dorian from the model references.

JAFSPURS (Jacob A)JAFSPURS (Jacob A)
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

It’s incredibly efficient 😎

Am I the only one without an image/image link?

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

No you’re not. It looks to me like you didn’t allow the path to load before submitting. Try the image again and after you select it on your computer wait until the little path completes then post. I know the image uploader sucks. We are going to improve it soon!

Ratnakar Kamat
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Ratnakar Kamat
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

here it is. thanks for your guidance. It was my first attempt.

Annie Survis
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Oh, this is very well done. I hope your post did not get lost in the process of fixing it. I hope someone critiques this for you. I can’t find anything to critique. I think the highlights in the eyes are beautiful, and your darks, mid-tones and lights are lovely.

Ratnakar Kamat
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey! Thank you so much for your response.

Laura Ramsden
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Wow, I love the emotion your drawing is conveying, really beautiful.

My comments would be the creases on the forehead look a bit harsh to me, and give the impression of almost cracks. Maybe softening these would not pull so much focus from the eyes. The other thing would be some of the hair wisps, especially around the ear are a bit distracting. One thing I’ve really noticed from watching the masters critique videos, is thinking about how elements in the drawing contribute or take away from the overall design of the piece. So, even if the hair looks like that in the reference, we don’t have to copy that element if it doesn’t make the drawing better.

Hope this is helpful!

Eden
    Participant
    No points.

Beautiful drawing! I love the sensitivity of the eyes, nose, and ear. I agree with Laura in that the forehead looks like it is cracking like dried dirt. I don’t think this is what you intended and yet for me creates more interest in the drawing (that is if you were going for a surreal look). There’s an almost pained look in the eyes as if he has received some bad news and is contemplating the ramifications. The cracking in the forehead increases this feeling of pain and agony in his heart.

I feel the lips are losing some form in the middle. Yet it’s still an effective drawing because the way his lips are makes me feel like he is giving himself a moment to experience whatever he is feeling and then he’s going to return to stoicism and carry on despite his pain.

Anyways, great drawing! I hope it gets critiqued!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.