Perspective 5: Drawing Scenes, Objects with Multiple VPs

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Perspective 5: Drawing Scenes, Objects with Multiple VPs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Artist and veteran instructor, Erik Olson approaches this lecture with making a basic plan of an environment and then realizing two measured views of the environment. Objects are drawn behaving mostly in 1 Point perspective. Following this, drawn diagrams and multiple digital draw overs, on paintings and photographs, demonstrate 1 Point perspective views with 2 Point perspective objects present.

Materials

• 45-45-90 Transparent Triangle Ruler
    • 30-60-90 Transparent Triangle Ruler
    • Alvin Pro-Matic Lead Holder – 2H Lead
    • Alvin Rotary Lead Pointer
    • T-Square Ruler
    • Protractor
    • Prismacolor Verithin Colored Pencil – Red/Blue
    • Paintbrush
    • Kneaded Eraser
    • Hard Eraser
    • Helix Technical Compass
    AdrianSalinas Duchem
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello,

I have a question about Ellipses in this video. I know that this question is treated in this lecture. I’m trying to understand everything you say on videos and I am both learning english and perspective at the same time. So it is complicated for me to understand everything.

I understand the principles of the ellipse, minor axis and major axis, always at 90°. I assumed that major or minor axis are independent to the Vp, they are generally paralel to the horizon line.  I’m confused, when you draw the car, those minor axis of wheels-ellipses. Are they going to vp 2#? even if this object is in 2 vp each ellipse should correspond to a 1vp?

Thank you for your perspective lectures, It help me so much!

Best regards,

Adrian Duchemin

RiccoMartini
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Adrian,

Yes the minor axis of a STANDING ellipse in 2 Point will go to either the VP Left or the VP right (Its major axis will still be at a 90 degree angle). When the ellipse is flat on the ground it behaves basically the same as in 1 point.

Erik will explain all of it in depth starting in Lecture 7, diagram 65.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Ricco

GregHastings
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

In Video 20 in perspective series 5 with Erik, he starts out the lesson by identifying the behavior of the camera.  Finding the center of the camera frame and how it relates to the true world horizon.

After determining this, we proceed to analyze how the world is behaving.  Erik hints at the difference and indicates the camera sensor was not parallel to the picture plane, but I wanted to check if this was the purpose of pointing this out was just to show you can’t take a simplistic approach to breaking this down.  It seems like a step that can be skipped once we are aware of the pitfalls of this way of thinking.

It’s more important that are drawings are relative to the world and not to the cameras true CV/HZ axis.

TDP
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Just an observation – Lesson 5 Chapter 14 Diagram 46 at 03.11, if the bottom of the door followed the perspective back to the VP if may not be distinguishable from the window surround following through from behind it.

Amazingly thorough lessons. Thank you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.