Perspective 3: Referencing, Scene Set-Ups, and Ellipses

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Perspective 3: Referencing, Scene Set-Ups, and Ellipses

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In the third lesson in Erik Olson’s perspective series, Erik demonstrates more complex referencing methods considering both 1 and 2 point perspective together in views. Many of the picture set-ups exhibit “in picture” methods that allow the artist to stay within the scene frame to achieve accurate diminishment. You will also learn about Camera frame behavior in relation to artistic compositional decision making, as well as the use of ellipses. These ideas are further demonstrated in a basic 3-D program walk through.

Materials

• 45-45-90 Transparent Triangle Ruler
    • 30-60-90 Transparent Triangle Ruler
    • Alvin Pro-Matic Lead Holder – 2H Lead
    • Alvin Rotary Lead Pointer
    • T-Square Ruler
    • Protractor
    • Prismacolor Verithin Colored Pencil – Red/Blue
    • Paintbrush
    • Kneaded Eraser
    • Hard Eraser
    • Helix Technical Compass
    akuaagyeman
    Participant
    No points.

I just wanted to clarify one point.  In creating the cube on the diminishment guides, to get the depth, we used a 45 degree angle rather than crossing lines to VP.  That created a really shallow depth of field.  Would it have been incorrect to use the criss-crossing guides to opp VPS from the front corners because the box was already in perspective.  I understand using the 45 deg triangle ruler, it’s just I’ve never learnt that until now.

akuaagyeman
    Participant
    No points.

BTW, thank you so much for this.  You have changed my artistic life.  I have been unable to draw despite doing perspective for 3y because i just didnt understand how to place figures and elements in an environment.  Thank you so much for this series….you are a GREAT teacher.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.