Pencil white pastel toned paper silence

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Pencil white pastel toned paper silence

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Leo DiFraiaLeo DiFraia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Tim,

The drawing itself is nicely done. I wonder if you couldn’t crop out some of the less interesting background. The apple on the left looks the best along with its reflection, the right one, seems a little more smeared and so you lose some of the beauty of the pastel medium.

There appears to be an issue with the perspective. The surface the apples and pitcher are sitting on doesn’t match the space. It should be getting wider as it comes closer to us.

Finally, I have to comment on the photograph of the drawing. I can tell by the masking tape at the top that the photo isn’t a good representation of the original. You’ve done a good job getting an even light over the whole drawing, but the final exposure and likely the white balance are off. I recommend you photograph your drawings with a commercially printed value scale so you can easily edit the photo. This is especially important for toned paper drawings.

Hope that helps,

Leo

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Leo DiFraiaLeo DiFraia.
    TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Leo

Thanks so much for this detailed analysis very kind of you ,and helpful

I am afraid I dont understand your useful advice of how to photograph

Sorry bit of technophobe any further info on

kind regards

Tim

Leo DiFraiaLeo DiFraia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Tim,

There are lots of resources online about how to photograph artwork. You can find a range of videos on Youtube from highly complex to very simple set-ups. If you shot the image with your phone, you likely have all of the tools necessary to manipulate the final image. It’s going to take a bit of research on your part.

But the best/simplest advice I can give is boiled down to this:

a. Take the photo in an outdoor shady area preferably around mid-day

b. include a commercially printed value scale in your picture. You can get one for a few dollars.

c. learn to use the tools you have on your camera/phone to edit the photograph so that the value scale in the picture represents as accurately as possible the value scale you placed there.

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Leo

Good of you to get back to me

I will go ahead and do that now I fully understand

Best wishes

And thanks again for your thoughtful helpful crit

Stay safe

Tim

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.