Paul’s 100 Day Challenge; Sketchbook

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Paul’s 100 Day Challenge; Sketchbook

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 348 total)
  • Author
    PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Here’s Day 42. Am trying the same thing as with the drawing. 25 minutes painting, 5-8 minutes away from the painting, 25 minutes painting, 5-8 away and finally a last 25 minutes for painting. I’m kind of pleased with how this is going. It’s making me look at value patterns much more closely and earlier, think ahead about how I’m going to paint, (because I won’t have much time to refine), and in general pay more attention and focus more.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Paul. Do you mind if I weigh in on this conversation, if only to say that you’re not alone. I too come from a very critical family background and it’s amazing that it affects so much of life for so long. This challenge seemed and has proven to be a positive and encouraging place and people are critiquing in a genuinely helpful and positive way. I’m still working out how to handle my perfectionism. As Natacha points out, it’s great for improvement – we’re a very conscientious bunch! It’s also great for having an eye for what is correct and being able to execute. We’re all here learning to improve our craft and that’s pretty straightforward. Where I run into trouble, as you were discussing, is how much detail? How much rendering? How much time to spend? How gestural? Is a tight style not okay? Is less better than more? Is more better than less? I love seeing loose gestural drawings, as I’ve said before. I also love (and am far better) at detail, rendering and spending more time on a drawing. Is one style ‘better art’ than another? How do you find where you belong? These questions can tie me up in knots and I really don’t know the answers.

This forum is a great place to practice in a semi-private, constructive way. SO much better than social media, which I avoid where possible. I appreciate and respect the honesty and constructive support we’re able to give each other.

Your approach to your art is thoughtful, methodical and thorough and you have a great deal of experience, so however you choose to walk the path that still lies before you, you’ll do well. Be encouraged – your art is an inspiration and your learning process is also. Thank you for sharing it with us.

NatachaNatacha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Paul, art is my favorite subject and I appreciate too being able to discuss about it. I’m glad I could bring you another view of this quality/flaw trait that is perfectionnism.

Sadly I can completely understand it ; never being good enough, always being pull down and the worse: being expected to be someone you are not. It’s destructive to grow up after that.  However I try now to take control. Being in control of what you want and what you do. Now I can’t stop being so demanding with myself but it’s alright, I know it makes me improve faster to the style of art I’m aiming for. The artists I’m inspiring by also are very critical of their own art ; because that’s what made them improve all the way.

You’re right : appreciating what you’re doing is the most important. Art is not an homework, where you got a mark on. It’s about creating what you want. It should be a positive experience/journey ; and that joy is what will push you and make you continue to draw what  you like and this way you’ll improve. You’re improving, that’s sure, you’re on the right way.

This new exercise seems to be very good for what you’re looking for now ; “taking it easier” in art!

I read your message Deborah and I confirm that we’re all definetely not alone. But life is full of obstacles and pushing through them is what we’re doing! The overthinking too can be so exhausting. I love the quote “The only person standing in your way is you” because in the end, we have the choice. The past can’t be redone ; the past only exists in the way it affects our present. So it’s about always “working” on ourself and it’s going to pay off.
    I completely agree with Deborah, you are both inspirational and the way you’re keeping up through the days of this (pretty long) challenge is also impressive.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

My wifi was down for the last couple of days, except for about ten minutes yesterday. Weird.

Thanks Deborah and Natacha for your thoughtful comments. I appreciate your insight and your taking the time to share. I agree this challenge is really helpful. One part of my perfectionism quirk is not wanting to show my stuff until I think it’s “good enough” or until I have to, (work deadline). So posting stuff here is outside my comfort zone because, of course, it’s never “good enough” and I don’t have a deadline from a client so I really don’t HAVE to post it. So I’ve posted quite a few things that my gut feeling was, “I need to work on this some more tomorrow before I post it.” But I posted them anyway! I think, for me, my comfort zone is a very good indicator of what I need to step out of. This challenge is really getting me to do that! Even though I often want to do more to a sketchbook page or gouache study, by NOT doing that and posting it anyway I’m feeling like really positive stuff is happening.

Case in point. This page has lots of stuff I’d love to correct. Day 43.

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I see we’re all struggling with the same thing. You can see in my challenge when I do not see the improvement in my work and seeing it in everyone else’s. I only hope to gain a more objectively critical eye to judge my art in the future.

Great value studies on the landscape Paul. When I squint I can see the groups so clearly on the last one there. Lovely to come back and see your art, very inspiring as usual ☺️ I like the strokes of fur on the animal studies, this page reminds me of Daumier!

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks Chi. Appreciate the comments very much. Yes, I know the feeling of not making as much progress as I’d like. But I also know, if I keep pushing through that feeling it becomes a lie. Persistence definitely wins that battle.

I’ve gotten behind. I have terrible wifi in the building where my studio is. My home usually has great wifi but the last 4 or 5 days it’s been erratic. At any rate, I’m going to try to catch up. When I miss a day, (or two), I simply post them with the next day of the challenge but the current date.

Here’s Day 44. This was just a quick study of a detail of a Rockwell painting. Just trying to get a feel for the blending and lights and darks. Tried to keep it fairly quick and not overwork it. Four 25 minute timed periods with 5-10 minutes between each one.

AJAJ
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I like the value by numbers idea at the bottom there!  I’ll have to try that sometime 🙂

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks AJ. I premix five values of gouache and lay in flat areas. I’ve found doing a small sketch with the values indicated helps because when the gouache dries the values change so much it’s hard to tell which of the wet premixed paint correspond to the dry values.

Lucas a.k.a Lucas a.k.a “Roams”
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

maaaan that gouache painting is awesome 😀 good job man!!!

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks Lucas. Appreciate it. I’m just going to keep trying not to overwork these studies.

Here’s Day45. Trying to experiment a bit while still limiting the time of the studies. Should have placed these differently on the page.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Here’s Day 46. Gouache study from a Walter Baumhofer oil painting. Just continuing to not over render and get more of a feel for the medium and the value changes when it dries.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Here’s Day 47. I’m trying to do ink sketches of some of the images I want to do in gouache.

Lucas a.k.a Lucas a.k.a “Roams”
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

really cool ink sketches 😀 cant wait to see the gouache studies now!

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks Lucas.

Here’s my gouache study for Day 48.

Still keeping to a strict time limit, although I did do one extra 25 minute period on this one. I definitely need to work on the smoke at the lower left. I’ve never tried to paint smoke in gouache and it shows. Again, this is a study of a detail of a Walter Baumhofer oil painting.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by PaulDidier.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by PaulDidier.
    PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Here’s Day 49. Felt like it was time to study Mr Kley again.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 348 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.