Pastel Portrait Demonstration of a Woman

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Pastel Portrait Demonstration of a Woman

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In this lesson, world-renowned pastel artist Ellen Eagle shares her personal pastel technique in-depth as she creates a portrait of a female. Every step of the process is captured–from the first initial marks to the last finishing touches.You will learn how Ellen lays in her painting, develops local areas of color, makes important color decisions, and maintains correct proportions to create a stunning work of art. We encourage you to try your own portrait painting and follow along with Ellen through each of the stages of her process.

Materials

• Prismacolor Nupastels – 96 Piece Set
    • Rembrandt Soft Pastels
    • Handheld Mirror
    • Chamois
    • Kneaded Eraser
    • Hard Charcoal Stick
    • Sanding Block
    • Blending Stumps – Large and Medium
    • Single Edge Razor Blades
    • Homemade Pastel Board – Cold-Pressed Illustration Board Primed with Gesso and Pumice, Sanded and Toned with Grey Acrylic
    DANIELLEGORDON
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Even without drawing yourself, this demonstration is just beautiful to watch a master in action! It would be great if there were more from Ellen!!!

ANA BODIN
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Love the demo but it would be helpful if the names of the colors of the pastels used on the portraits would’ve been listed at the beginning or the end.

Caroline Butler
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

This is so meditative!  loved watching Ellen’s portrait evolve.

Vivscumble
    Participant
    No points.

Hi, is there a way to see a closeup of Ellen’s final painting? I would like to see the detailed strokes. The portrait is so beautiful.

Vivscumble
    Participant
    No points.

Hi, Ellen mentioned she wanted a smooth prepared surface, she sands it lightly. I would like to get an idea of what commercial pastel paper would be comparable for her preferred level of smooth/roughness. For example, would Richeson sanded paper be comparable? others? I f i prepare the surface as she does, I need to know how much to sand the surface.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.