Oil Color Mixing for Beginners

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Oil Color Mixing for Beginners

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Color theory is a complex and often intimidating subject for artists. Without a clear road map, it’s easy to become lost and for your work to suffer as a result. Thankfully world-renowned artist Joseph Todorovitch will teach you the most essential information you need to paint figures and portraits. You will learn how to mix colors to achieve proper value and temperature as well as the famous Anders Zorn palette, which is a useful palette for painting people. This lesson includes a downloadable PDF file that you can print out at home as a handy studio reference.

Nancy Alain
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Tremendously helpful lesson. Very clear and well presented. Thanks so much!  I love the color wheel concept rather than just a lot of blobs and mixes.

One question:  I am assuming the red is cad red light. Am I correct?

Betty Ng
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

The labellings of secondary and tertiary on the color wheel of the pdf file should be interchanged.

Best regards,

Betty

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Betty, I forwarded this to my team to be fixed

nome edonnanome edonna
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

That ‘LEMON YELLOW’ is a bit misleading!  At least for beginners…   It’s so light, almost closer to a ‘Nickel Titanate’ yellow…..

Pretty much every other ‘Lemon Yellow’ I’ve ever come across has a super intense chroma, similar to Cad Yellow, but leaning cool/green…

Perhaps this was mentioned and I missed it, but just wanted to make note of it, for other students here..

Otherwise, enjoying the lessons!

Thanks!

Nancy Alain
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Need clarification on Lemon Yellow (is that Cadmium?) and also the Cad Red looks very light so not sure if it is light or medium.  Thank you.

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Nancy, He is using Michael Harding Lemon Yellow which is a little more subtle than other brands. and the Cad red could be considered a medium but Michael Harding lists it as plain cad red.

Hope this helps B)

Claire
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Cad red contains brown pigment, so that’s why it produces a muted purple when mixed with cobalt. Alizarin mixed with cobalt will give a brighter, more intense purple.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.