Lucas’ 100 days of head drawing studies

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Lucas’ 100 days of head drawing studies

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Lucas LacerdaLucas Lacerda
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 30

Yesterday I finished the Anatomy of head and neck course. Now, with a more solid knowledge on anatomy, I’m coming back to Huston’s constructive head drawing course.

In this week’s assignment the topic was hair, so here are some quick sketches mainly focused on hair.

Mary DolanMary Dolan
    Participant
    No points.

Good idea, well done

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 31

At this day I did some quick sketches from imagination, focusing a bit on facial differences between males and females

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 32

At this day I spent some time doing quick sketches from life in the subway

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 33

At this day I finished a couple of constructive head drawing course’s assignments, one focusing on the differences between male and female faces, and the other one focused on the effects of aging.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 34

Today I kept watching the lectures from constructive head drawing course, doing some quick exercises on facial expressions

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 35

One more day of constructive head drawing. This time the focus was on shape design, one of my favorite parts of the course so far.

For this assignment I did some quick studies (5 to 10 min each) experimenting with materials, styles and approaches.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 36

Another day of assignments for constructive head drawing. Today I did some more head sketches focusing on characterization and shape design.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 37

At this day I did some quick studies from observation with graphite, ballpoint pen and colored pencils on toned paper

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 38

At this day I did some quick studies from observation and others mostly from imagination

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 39 & 40

During these days I spent some time doing some more quick sketches, but this time from imagination only. I’m really getting more confortable with drawing the head in any angle and it’s been a lot of fun experimenting with the ballpoint pen

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 41

Now that I’m more acquainted and confortable with head drawing I feel like I can focus on more advanced topics. During the last months I studied mainly proportions, structure, facial features and a little bit of anatomy, as well as some side topics such as differences between genders, effects of aging, etc. This knowledge allowed me to get more confident when drawing heads from imagination and observation, but, until this point, the most of my drawings have neutral poses and expressions.

So, From now on, I plan to delve deeper into anatomical studies, trying to understand the facial muscles and their behaviour in order to create lively facial expressions in my drawings. Today I took my first step in that direction.

My plan is to study small groups of facial muscles, each at a time, and improve my knowledge reading about them, drawing over photos and masterwork as well as drawing my own studies from obserevation and imagination.

I’m starting with some muscles of the frontal, glabellar and orbital regions (Frontalis, corrugator muscles and orbicularis oculi), and here are some studies I did today

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 42

One more day of facial muscles studies. This time I focused on the nasal and midface muscles.

Just like yesterday my study was divided in three steps: first I read about the muscles and observed them on actual expressions, then I made photo draw overs and lastly drew from observation. Even though My focus today was on the nasal region muscles, I’ve also tried to include the muscles I studied yesterday. I’m having a lot of fun with these studies, even if I have to remember names like “Levator Labii Superioris Alaeque Nasi”

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 43

Today I focused on the mouth region muscles and did some photographic studies with draw overs. The mouth is a really complex region with many muscles, but still it was really nice to study it. Tomorrow I’m going to draw some more mouths from observation and then progress to other muscle groups, such as the neck muscles.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 44

At this day I did some more studies concerning the muscles of the mouth region. While in the last study I did photo studies only, this time I drew exclusively from observation.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.