Looking for critique on composition and lighting choices.

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Looking for critique on composition and lighting choices.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    wouterbruneel
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey all,

2 pieces here I’ve been holding onto and messing with. I feel like the lighting or composition is off, can’t put my finger on it. Would love a critique by one of the masters here.

Thanks!

Wouter

wouterbruneel
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Would still love some feedback on these! Thanks for helping this community either way.

NicBritt
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Wouter,

I love your images – thought I’d just offer a little bit of critique from the perspective of a cinematographer as I think you are questioning your lighting.

The second image – the slash of hot light on the girl’s shirt is nice but there is no corresponding shadow: the ‘cut’ ends on her legs, but her shirt is still in light. This leads to an uncanny feel. I like the checker boarding of her silhouette against the light window: but perhaps it doesn’t allow the emotion of the girl and thereby the scene to be read as quickly. Plus the ‘heat’ of the slash perhaps draws attention a little away from the face? (Not that I mind this particularly) in fact I rather like the sense of ambiguity.

This could be mitigated by increasing the value of the guy’s trousers in light – there is not much contrast shift between light and shadow compared to the girl’s light and shadow. Perhaps look at this.?

just some rambled thoughts: typed with thumbs.

all the best

Nic

NicBritt
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Looking again: I think the values of all the sunlight areas need to be checked against each other. They are not, to me, reading bright enough or the same value.

best

Nic

wouterbruneel
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Appreciate your comments! When you say “cut” you mean the light of the off camera window. And you feel the way that light affects the girl and the way it affects the floor is not consistent?

I agree witch your contrast comments. To mitigate your first comment i might change the angle of the light coming in through the windows. the VP currently doesn’t allow me to show the cast shadow of the girl on the floor. Little bit of a puzzle.

thanks again!

W

NicBritt
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Re the ‘cut’

If her shirt is in sunlight then the light shown on the floor has to either be longer – to include more of her leg shadow and also part of shirt shadow. Or the girl’s shadow on the floor compressed to include the shirt. (However the latter wouldn’t work as then the sun would be coming from too high an angle to match the mans shadow)

the sun is low and pretty much directly behind the camera as far as I can tell, so I would extend the light on the floor behind the girl.

wouterbruneel
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

You’re right. Makes sense. Thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.