Light and Shadow Theory for Painters Part II

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Light and Shadow Theory for Painters Part II

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In this video lesson world-renowned painter Steve Huston will continue to demonstrate the laws of light by painting a simple bowl in oils. Steve will teach you how to break up your scenes into simple three-dimensional forms like the cylinder and how to analyze form as a series of planes, as well as how to work with value and half-tones.

Materials

• Gamblin Artist Grade Oil Colors
    • Simply Simmons Paintbrush
    • Canvas Panel
    JessicaJessica
    Participant
    No points.

I’m working through the “Introduction to Painting with Steve Huston”.  I have been oil painting for many years now, but I was initially taught to use mediums such as Liquin to thin out the paint.  Painting out of the tube is new to me.  On the videos, Mr. Huston’s paint seems to flow easily onto his canvas board as well as on his palette.  I’m not having the same result.  Is he using Gamsol to get his paints to be a little more fluid?  Maybe, I’m just so used to the fluidity of the Liquin that the dryer paint is  something I need to get used to.

Also, is he using a hog bristle, sable, or synthetic brush?  I used a hog bristle for the egg demonstration and sable for the bowl.  I’m wondering if I’m doing something wrong.  My paint is sort of gumming up on the canvas not easily blending without really pushing with my brush.  Should I be using more paint?

Thank you for you help!

Jessica

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.