Landscape oil mountains – work in progress – critique appreciated

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Landscape oil mountains – work in progress – critique appreciated

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chantal DupuisChantal Dupuis
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello!  I just joined and I am really loving it so far!   I just finished the Landscape lesson by Steve Huston and I will definitely do more.  I had done most of this landscape before though but decided to ask for input if you have time.  I know that my water is off and I need to put in reflections, not sure yet how I will “attack” that.  What should I improve?  I am tempted to let it go but would like to get opinions.   Knowing when to stop is always an issue for me!!  Thank you!

Canadian Rockies- Bow Lake

Charles HuCharles Hu
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Painting feedbackBeautiful Painting!! Great atmosphere.

I wrote some feedback on the photo below .

One of the most toughest thing in both Drawing and Painting, is composition. is a visual communication and there are so many way to interpret it. Graphically or 3 dimensionally. Bill Perkin, One of the instructor here on NMA has a Great lesson on that topic,you can check it out.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you so much Charles!   I have used 2 or 3 different reference photos for this, I have not looked at my references in the last 2 sittings or so the “over details” are just areas where I sorta got into my bubble and detailed away, just because.  I know this is a thing I need to fix with myself because I tend to over detail a lot of things.

I love all the feedback!  Looking forward to fixing it now!   I will definitely check out Bill Perkin’s lesson.  There is so much on this site, I don’t know where to start!  A great problem to have!!  Lol!

Thanks again!  It feels really nice to ask for feedback and to get this.  Thanks for taking the time!

Participant
    No badges. No points.

I worked on it a bit more.   Sorry Charles, didn’t implement ever suggestion but it made me think though.   I liked my little mountain in the back so instead of making it disappear I brought it forward a bit more.   As for reflection, I made my light more into mid left side so I tried to put the reddish mountain side reflection in there but I “erased” it as it didn’t feel right to me, just a feel though, I may be wrong but I didn’t want to “red sections” in there.   I have to do more tweaking to it (still repetition on the middle bottom series of “lumps” and I will work on the water some more.   Thought I would share the progress, thank you!!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.