Landscape and Still life Oil Painting Critiques

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Landscape and Still life Oil Painting Critiques

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi fellow NMA students! I hope to find you all well.

I wanted to share a couple paintings I’ve made the past couple weeks to help keep my mind busy and bring some ease. I’ve used concepts and techniques I’ve learned from Bill Perkin’s Colour Bootcamp course and Juliette Aristides’ A Realist Approach to Drawing and Painting, both which were fantastic.

I find I tend to struggle most with getting my values right, saturation levels and getting overwhelmed by trying to express all the subtle colour temp variations I see as planes change, even within the small ones. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Look after yourself and others.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Fixed! Apparently the spam software has been blocking like half of all posts! We will get you critiqued?

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Cheers Joshua

How annoying. I’m glad it was brought to attention so that other’s threads can be adjusted too.
    Thanks again for NMA  providing the opportunity for critiques for us.

Rachel Atkins
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Wow, lovely work. In the Beach landscape I think you really nailed that headland and sky value and colour, that sit in great harmony. There is such convincing depth and many variations of cool and warm colours, you really read the scene well. In the Photo there is a slightly lighter strip of beach in the background, which you could add to push that beach background away a little more, or maybe darken the forground beach just a smidge to pull it forward. But such great work, keep it up, you are soooo past kindergarten!!!

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Rachel! 🙂

Trying to create a sense of harmony across the image was an important factor for me. I wanted the viewer to feel as though they are right in the scene, taking in the whole landscape. I wanted to recreate the feelings I had in that location many years ago. I didn’t think I quite capture it, but it was fun to make nonetheless.

I see what you mean about pushing the backstrip further. That indeed would help. The alternative as you said would be to pull the foreground beach in, which may work better for the kind of effect I’d want to create. Thanks for the suggestion!

Haha, that was an A+ project 😉 and will do

Rachel Atkins
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

It definitely has a sense that this is a moment in time, You have expressed that well. I really enjoy the feeling of this painting.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

I know you are aware but just for reference Charles Hu critiqued your piece here:

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Yes indeed. Thanks Joshua 🙂 and Charles for the excellent critique.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Chris_LegaspiChris_Legaspi
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Josseline,

Here is a video critique of your landscape

https://vimeo.com/416649635

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Chris_LegaspiChris_Legaspi.
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi @Chris_Legaspi

Thank you for your critique and suggestions on how to improve the composition. Very grateful for you taking the time to do this.

Thanks.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.