Lady B’s 100 Day Challenge: Studying

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Lady B’s 100 Day Challenge: Studying

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    LadyBArtistLadyBArtist
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello, I am Lady B and I hail from the U.K. I was excited to find the Academy today. I’ve been self-taught for a couple of years now but I am really running out of self-taught steam. I need something to give me the fuel to journey down the tracks to the next stations of creativity and skill. I watched a beginners lecture tonight and the message – finding meaning, how art helps us link all the singular parts into one whole – struck a chord with me. I actually started crying. I never really had proper art lessons at school and just listening to an art lecture here at home felt very special to me.

So my challenge is going to be a little different in that for every day for a 100 days I am going to participate in an online lecture. I will also either make a quick study of a reference sketch to upload here, or share with you the homework from the online lectures. Each day I will post here to talk about what I am enjoying. I intend to be kind to myself through this process and not be critical. My aim is to improve, yes, but mostly it is to have fun and to grow as a person.

I hope to make some new friends here too.

Good evening everyone and see you all tomorrow.

Lucas a.k.a Lucas a.k.a “Roams”
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

the lessons here are great you’ll learn loads. lookin forward to seeing some sketches 🙂

LadyBArtistLadyBArtist
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

That won’t look like much to you, but for me, this sketch is a huge liberation. I’ve been drawing for three years, tied to copying photos in painstaking detail, pencil clutched between the tips of my fingers. I want to ‘just draw’ – to let my imagination take over and to be honest I have been failing miserably. My brain doesn’t seem to want to let go and hasn’t seemingly taken in the way the basic blueprint of a human form. Now, part of my struggle I know is that I am autistic. It isn’t exactly natural for me to think about how people look. But I do have a big imagination. I’ve been writing stories since I was a little girl and visualising whole worlds. I just think I need to coax my scared autistic brain a little.

So far I’ve learnt to draw from my shoulder, to grip my pencil in different way so that now, instead of being crouched over the paper, I am sitting back and seeing it all. Tonight I drew him. Now – he’s based on a photo of a wrestler called Minoru Suzuki, but I drew him in my own way. He doesn’t actually look like that. I’ve kinda drawn the guy like he’s 70 yers of age. And for the first time, I can actually see my art style there. plus – he hadn’t got that expression in the photo. I gave him that. This is progress. This is me.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

It will be uncomfortable for awhile, but if you stick with it and don’t give up, you will come out the other side with an amazing creative toolset. Great work! Please keep drawing and keep sharing!

LadyBArtistLadyBArtist
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Oh thank you. It felt like great work 🙂

LadyBArtistLadyBArtist
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

So admittedly this isn’t finished, but it was supposed to be just a quick sketch off the beginners series – 3.4 on using your pencil to judge distance and shapes – where I ended up picking up a coloured pencil… Yeah – I like this. You can see that when I’ve been teaching myself I’ve concentrated a lot on faces. I’m really comfortable there, but my bodies – less so. And hands – hah! But that’s what I am here for, eh? Gonna keep going with study. He looks like a clown (he’s a wrestler). I like that. I want to go to him again and do more.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.