Kelsey’s 100 Day Challenge: Foundations

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Kelsey’s 100 Day Challenge: Foundations

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 130 total)
  • Author
    Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 31:

Fixed parts of the anatomy, worked on the shading some but I am going to call it quits on this one. I’d like to revisit this later and see how my drawing improves.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 32:

Just some homework following lesson 5 of the Russian Academic course.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Nice work!

elizabeth hone
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Kelsey

I was tempted to breeze through the start of the Russian academic drawing course but glad I didnt. It has really helped me as I get further into the course. Lots of ellipses , cubes, and a stack load of skulls. I make sure I do the assignment and then a few extra. I maybe at it for a year but it’s really rewarding. Keep at it 👍

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Elizabeth, that’s good to hear! I am so tempted to blow through those initial exercises but when I sit down and do them I realise that I needed it. I just hope to keep motivated enough to crack on with these initial lessons.

Between moving prep and deadlines,  I missed a few days. Picking up where I left off…

Day 33:

Some figure drawing to de-stress. Drawing Rajiv was quite hard but also a lot of fun!

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 34:

I finally got to unpack the boxes with my art supplies. Moving is not fun. Did a sketch of my new plant with some emphasis/exaggeration on shadows on the trunk to solidify the lessons I’m on.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 35:

A bit of fun practicing watercolour. Also watched some more videos so I have a new assignment to work on tomorrow.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 36:

Did some homework. The assignment was the same box but lit from two different angles.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 37:

Another video and homework assignment completed! My only thing is that the bottom right-most visible pentagon is listed as a midtone in the video but clearly is the darkest plane in the photograph. I think it might be a live vs. photo thing?

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 38:

More homework, this time practicing hatching the terminator lines. For the lesson, I wasn’t really sure what reference image I was supposed to be practicing with, so I did a cylinder and my own squiggle like in the demonstration and then found something of my own interest to practice with– in this case a shark. Sharks have a good variety of sharp and soft plane changes on their body.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 39:

Work in progress! Doing the geometric still life lesson right now.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 40:

Finished working through the geometric still life assignment. I actually found it to be quite fun! It’s not perfect, but done enough. I keep spotting places where the tone in the shadows isn’t quite right.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 41:

Applied what I learned from the geometric still life into an actual still life.

Kelsey Wood (Bezaire)
    Participant
    No points.

Day 41 part 2:

For comparison…

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Nice application of the principals learned in the geometric still life lesson.  You really have the proportion, shape, and values under control.  Something that might help you go a little further is to observe carefully the cast shadow edge.  A cast shadow will have a hard edge when it is close to the object that is casting it, and it will get softer and softer as it moves away from the object that is casting it.  I can see in the photo, that the left banana has a really sharp cast shadow edge at the distal end of the banana (away from the stem) and soft as it moves back toward the stem.  With the middle banana, it is just the opposite, since the distal end is being lifted off the table.  Also, instead of keeping the half tone area completely white, that might be a good place to do some very light crosshatching over the form to make it turn that much more.  You can even take a marker and draw lines around the (real) bananas to help you with the direction of the cross hatching strokes.  Hope this helps.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 130 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.