Josseline’s 100 Day Challenge: Sketchbooking

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Josseline’s 100 Day Challenge: Sketchbooking

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Josseline, these are fine. Especially the 4th, 5th and 6th pages. The line you indicate for the spine is a good first line to draw just to get a feel for the gesture and movement of the figure. Keep doing these! I guarantee if you do 15 minutes of these each day before you start your regular drawings both will improve.

I know you won’t want to, (at least at first), but if you will do them in ink, particularly with a sharpie pen on a larger piece of newsprint or bond, and move your pen from the shoulder rather than the elbow or wrist, you’ll be amazed at how loose and fluid your drawings will become. I guarantee your gestures, AND tighter drawings, will improve.

I replied to you on my page that I’d post some of the larger warmup pages I do in sharpie for you, I’ll try to do that today.

Laura EspinosaLaura Espinosa
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Josseline, like your drawings. I´m excited to see how we improve with this challenge!

DennisDennis
    Participant
    No points.

Good job Josseline! I’m right with you on the timed figures. These feel super hard for me too. Yours look representative. I see the gesture right away.

Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@Birgith thank you! 🙂

@PaulDidier Yeah I was starting to let go a bit as I did more, so that helped. The line of the spine and general line of action of the whole pose helps me a lot – it’s the foundation to build everything up from. I will take your advice and do them with pen and sharpie. Have to be brave and persist to improve! I’m looking forward to seeing my drawing loosen up and overall improve with this approach 🙂 I don’t have the habit ingrained in me yet to use my shoulder, and I don’t have a good handle of inch long tipped pencils. I want to practice with those as well. Again, very generous of you with your post- thank you so much.

@LauraEspinosa Thank you! 🙂 And likewise

@Dennis you’ll be my gesture buddy throughout this challenge, haha. I want to do one of the daily sessions daily as part of my sketchbook challenge. We WILL get better 🙂 Thank you, glad it reads ohk.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 8 – start of second week! I really pushed myself today. I was feeling discouraged with my timed gestures from the previous day, but with all your support and feedback,  I was able to loosen up mentally throughout the day, and got more and more drawing in 🙂 Thank you all.

I’m finding myself wanting to do more than my set 2 page sketchbook goal, as the two are beginning to feel not enough, but I want to stick with the goal, to allow the ability to do less on days where I’m feeling exhausted or time restraints don’t allow for more.

Together with my course work outside of sketchbook, in total I have been drawing a fair bit compared to the past. Proud of this 🙂 drawing in general is still something I have to overcome, lots of fear. I’m looking forward to when I’m able to feel more at ease with my drawing practice.

Graphite pencil and Stabilo point 88 fineliner – I hadn’t done observational drawing in a while, so I thought it would be good to get some in. Top drawing is of my cockatiel. I love how peaceful and fluffy she looks when she’s sleeping. I set her large cage next to my table as I work, for she insists to have company at all times. Bottom drawings are odds and ends on my table.

Fountain pen – study of part of a Zorn drawing. I didn’t set myself any time to consider the layout of everything, so many mistakes. I still have the habit of diving right in. Need to untrain that!

Pitt pastel – a timed gesture session. Hesistation but got through 🙂 I’m planning to get in one session daily.

Graphite pencil – trying to draw cubes in space and perspective and ellipses. Practice, practice, practice.

ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Your efforts are shining through Josseline, those Zorn studies definitely paid off – keep it up!

Like most of us, I still get frustrated at my drawings when they don’t come out as well as I’d hoped. But I always remember a quote from Walt Stanchfield, he was an artist that developed a training program for his fellow animators at Disney.

“We all have 10,000 bad drawings in us. The sooner we get them out the better.”

For some reason that’s always helped me get lines down on a page haha.

John Huisman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I like your looseness and how you fill the whole page. Your gesture drawings are great. They are all great. It’s fun to look through these, thank you!

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

These are good! I especially like the line/contour drawings in the first one of the boxes and tissue. Those are really excellent. Also your gestures have already improved alot!  Your ellipses and boxes are all super good exercises.

Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I find the zorn studies cool! Also can see you got the ellipses going pretty nicely.

Lucas a.k.a Lucas a.k.a “Roams”
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

good stuff 🙂 i see your drawing what looks like things that are on your table. i do that sometimes aswell haha

Peihong Jiang Peihong Jiang
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I especially liked the figures you did with a purple pen? brush?

And in general, I like how naturally your sketchbooking process is flowing – drawing/painting anything you want and have fun with it!

Participant
    No badges. No points.

@Zach – Thanks! You should give one a go sometime. They have a folder here of some of his drawings and etchings. YES! We need to constantly remind ourselves that. A quote I have on my study wall from Jake Parker, goes “Finished not perfect. Triumph over resistance”. I need to have that on a post-it note everywhere I go, haha. Bobby Chiu just put a video up yesterday about that very thing. How it is a neccessary process to get all the bad drawings out, essentially everytime you draw, til you get to the good ones. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8OD0_nbqoM&feature=em-lsp

@JohnHuisman Thank you! I enjoy seeing full pages – it’s part of what makes my sketchbook feel playful, which is absolutely essential for me.

@PaulDidier – Thank you! 🙂 I really enjoy doing those little observational drawings, in particular with fineliners. I can’t hide my mistakes with them, but I like them for that. Speaking of boxes and ellipses, I’ve spent all day yesterday and today drawing MANY of them for the Russian course. The Russians really know how to train.

@ShazadMadon –  They are a great learning exercise and enjoyable to do. That’s the fourth one I’ve done. Yes, hundreds more till they start to take better shape 🙂

Lucas – Observational drawing is essential!

@PeihongJiang Thank you – they’re with a Faber Castell Pitt Pastel. Yes! That’s my goal – to make sketching a daily practice and to have fun in my sketchbook. For it to be a personal and special place for  me.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 9

Fountain pen – timed gesture session. Did these in pen after Paul’s suggestions. Well, this was hard. Focus is to just get these sessions to become a daily habit, and I’m sure things will pull a bit together in time.

Stabilo point 88 fineliner – master studies of Da Vinci sketches where he was studying the articulation and movement of wings. There are a number of these type of sketches, I’ll definitely be following more of these.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

@Zach – Thanks! You should give one a go sometime. They have a folder here of some of his drawings and etchings. YES! We need to constantly remind ourselves that. A quote I have on my study wall from Jake Parker, goes “Finished not perfect. Triumph over resistance”. I need to have that on a post-it note everywhere I go, haha. Bobby Chiu just put a video up yesterday about that very thing. How it is a neccessary process to get all the bad drawings out, essentially everytime you draw, til you get to the good ones. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8OD0_nbqoM&feature=em-lsp

@JohnHuisman Thank you! I enjoy seeing full pages – it’s part of what makes my sketchbook feel playful, which is absolutely essential for me.

@PaulDidier – Thank you! 🙂 I really enjoy doing those little observational drawings, in particular with fineliners. I can’t hide my mistakes with them, but I like them for that. Speaking of boxes and ellipses, I’ve spent all day yesterday and today drawing MANY of them for the Russian course. The Russians really know how to train.

@ShazadMadon –  They are a great learning exercise and enjoyable to do. That’s the fourth one I’ve done. Yes, hundreds more till they start to take better shape 🙂

Lucas – Observational drawing is essential!

@PeihongJiang Thank you – they’re with a Faber Castell Pitt Pastel. Yes! That’s my goal – to make sketching a daily practice and to have fun in my sketchbook. For it to be a personal and special place for  me.

ZHI SUZHI SU
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Good job Josseline! You are so diligent! You have good control of the lines. Those exercise of basic shapes do pay off.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 96 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.