John H, 100 day challenge, Sketchbook time

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge John H, 100 day challenge, Sketchbook time

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    John Huisman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 37, trying to look for the bigger forms and shadow shapes as I think Joshua was suggesting. I have no idea if this is what I am actually doing but I tried to look at these sketches a little bit differently.
    One thing that always baffles me is when someone talks about what are you trying to “say”. I am never really sure where to go with that thought.

#100DayArtChallenge #PathToMastery #ink #Pencil #Sketchbook

Day 37

John Huisman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 38, trying again to think about the shadow shapes but probably got hung up on details again.

Day 38

John Huisman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 39 & 40, trying to reduce to and see just the dark and light shapes. Using my Pentel brush pen.
    I enjoyed Steve Huston’s new video yesterday. Such a refreshing reminder that I am just so fortunate to be here just sketching for these moments…

Day 39&40

John Huisman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 41 & 42 back to this sketch book from a few days ago, some pen and ink and a bit of white charcoal… Probably have an hour total into the sketch on the right.

Day 41&42

John Huisman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Days 43 & 44, the last couple days drawing time was spent on this Gouache sketch. Even as I look at it now I am tempted to keep working on it… we’ll see.

Day 43&44

ZHI SUZHI SU
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Love these gouache sketches! I watched Steve Huston’s video lessons on this topic and probably would give it a try someday.

Jean-Pierre Fermet
    Participant
    No points.

Great to sse the variety of your inspirations. I did’nt dare to satr a sketchbook yet, but your work could decide me to. Bonne continuation!

John Huisman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 45 7 46, I tried to do a better face study but I am not really happy with this at all. It’s just not loose enough. I need to work more on looseness and fluid colors. But it is my time spent at the task so here it is.

Day 45 & 46

John Huisman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 47, trying to loosen up with a small ink sketch. I worked without the usual pencil first and just went right to the ink so some ill proportions that were committed to a little early.
    But this was an end of day sketch where I was just trying to get my 20 minutes in for the day. Sometimes the day gets away.

Day 47

John Huisman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 48, more ink work on this page. I did some light pencil work first just to get major forms placed.

Day 48

John Huisman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 49, a little more ink on this page. As a whole page, I think I am happy with it. I could keep going with some details but I think I will let it go.
    This is done with a Platinum Carbon ink pen that I bought a few months ago at “Wet Paint” in St. Paul, a new favorite place that I need to visit more often.

Day 49

John Huisman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Days 50 & 51, i really tend to overdo things trying to get them “better” but the end result is muddy, mostly the face again here. I think I did Ok on the folds of the fabric and the hand.
    I do think this is helping me with my comfortability with colors even when I was working with some oils last night on a larger piece so that was nice.

Day 50 & 51

John Huisman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 52, probably about 30 to 40 minutes into this one. Just burnt umber on toned paper and some white charcoal. Trying to keep it quick and loose and find the shadow shapes.

Day 52

John Huisman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 53

Day 53

John Huisman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 54, the reference photo  had for this was a little blurry and to some degree I think that helps me to not try te get the details quite so carefully.
    Day 54

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 117 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.