John H, 100 day challenge, Sketchbook time

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge John H, 100 day challenge, Sketchbook time

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    John Huisman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 5: Yesterday the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis had an online life drawing session. They had started this earlier in the year at the Walker with real live drawing and I made it to the first one, missed the second one and then the world changed and they were canceled. Until yesterday when, as so many things have done, they tried it on line. It’s certainly not the same as real life but I figured I would sit in anyway. The model was clothed and wearing a mask. OK. I stayed for over half of it but decided to leave after that, it was getting to be my bed time… So we started with a 5 minute then some 30 second and one and two minute and then two more 5 minutes and a ten. They were going to do a few more 10s and then a longer one after that. This also fills the last couple pages of a larger 14×17 sketch book that I have been using exclusively for figure drawing for the last year or so….One wonders if we will be living in a world where we don’t see peoples faces anymore… #100DayArtChallenge #PathToMastery

John Huisman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 5 second page:

John Huisman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 5: Yesterday the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis had an online life drawing session. They had started this earlier in the year at the Walker with real live drawing and I made it to the first one, missed the second one and then the world changed and they were canceled. Until yesterday when, as so many things have done, they tried it on line.  It’s certainly not the same as real life but I figured I would sit in anyway. The model was clothed and wearing a mask. OK. I stayed for over half of it but decided to leave after that, it was getting to be my bed time… So we started with a 5 minute then some 30 second and one and two minute and then two more 5 minutes and a ten. They were going to do a few more 10s and then a longer one after that. This also fills the last couple pages of a larger 14×17 sketch book that I have been using exclusively for figure drawing for the last year or so.

One wonders if we will be living in a world where we don’t see peoples faces anymore…

#100DayArtChallenge #PathToMastery

Birgith ScheiBirgith Schei
    Participant
    No points.

Nice work

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Well done! You have a lot of the right ideas. You need mileage.

Tip: Be careful that the inside and outside of a form like the leg or arm doesn’t bulge in the same way. Real anatomy has a back and forth flow to it. If the widest points align too closely form either side you start to get a Michelin-man sort of look.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo.
    John Huisman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Looks like I posted that last post twice. I think I tried and thought it didn’t work so tried it again later and I guess they both came though.
    Thank you for the tips Joshua, yes I am working on the mileage, 58 years old and trying to make up for lost time.

Day 6: I put some more time in on this page. I thought I might add more, something else to the page, but I think I will leave it now and move to a different page…
    #100DayArtChallenge #PathToMastery, 100DayArtChallenge, ink, Pencil, Sketchbook

John Huisman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 7: I realized late I hadn’t gotten my sketch book time in so I took a beer out on the deck and sketch what was in front of me.
    It finally got warm enough to site on the deck here in the twin Cities and the last stubborn remnant from last weeks 5″ snowfall finally melted this morning.
    Just trees over the railing. No leaves yet…

Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Nice drawing. pen and ink is probably my favourite medium for doing observational drawing

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

This is nice. Very loose and captures the energy and life of the tree.

John Huisman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 8 was yesterday. I worked on this page some more inking over my light pencil sketch on the second face. I think I will leave this page now and move on.

John Huisman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 9:
    8.5″ X 11″ 98 lb white paper, I tinted a page a while ago not knowing what I would do with it. So I started this sketch today.

John Huisman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 10, more work on that page…

#100DayArtChallenge #PathToMastery #ink #Pencil #Sketchbook

John Huisman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 11 Spent my sketch time on the same page again…

John Huisman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 11, I put in more time on this page, for some reason I was drawn to the hands though my hand studies here I am not happy with.  But since I am posting my daily sketch time we will have to take the bad with the good.
    Anyway, I think I need to leave this page now…

André Girão TaufferAndré Girão Tauffer
    Participant
    No points.

Wow! This page is beautiful! Only suggestion I could leave is maybe take out a bit of the contrast in the bigger left hand, the one in the bottom right corner of the page. I say that because the same contrast is so subtle in the other amplified hand, and it feels like the fingers fit a bit better together like this. Anyway, your challenge is looking great overall, looking forward for your next days!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 117 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.