May 15, 2022 at 2:00 pm #2396636
Day 66 15/05/2022
- Today I finished watching the lessons from Russian Drawing Approach on the clothed mannequin. I also worked on my assignment for another hour – I think that’s 7.5hrs total. My plan is to take a fresh look at it side-by-side with Iliya’s tomorrow to make any final changes.
- I also worked for an hour on the sketch I started yesterday outdoors. There’s something about it I really like – perhaps the composition – but it’s tricky getting the value hierarchy right. So I spent most of the time making some bits darker, other bits lighter before considering colour or detail.
Practice Time: 2hMay 16, 2022 at 2:07 pm #2398288
Day 67 16/05/2022
- I finished off the outdoor sketch from yesterday, which took up most of my practice time. There was a fair bit of scraping back and painting over, to try and get the values right. In some ways my little sketches are feeling increasingly unsatisfying. But when viewed side-by-side with earlier work, I do I think there are signs of progress.
- I also spent 30 minutes looking at my draped mannequin side-by-side with Iliyas. I was hoping this might reveal some clear flaws I could work on, but his was just another level that I couldn’t really edit mine. So I’m going to call it done. It’s my largest and longest drawing/painting, so I’m pleased with the effort.
- I also read a chapter in The Practice and Science of Drawing on ‘mass drawing’. It’s actually a great book, even though I learn better by seeing and copying, there’s plenty of gems in it. This one comes to mind:
- “The brush[work] swinging round the forms suggests foreshortening, and fulness of form generally, and across the forms softness, while the brush following down the form suggests toughness and hardness, and crossing in every direction atmosphere”
The plan tomorrow is either to draw/paint a newly arrive plaster cast or do a master study – probably the former, to keep up with the ‘drawing from life’ challenge.
Practice Time: 3hMay 18, 2022 at 2:04 pm #2405787
Day 67 18/05/2022
- I read a chapter in The Practice and Science of Drawing on rhythm. There were some thought-provoking bits about unity vs variety and harmony vs contrast.
- I spent a bit of time drawing my newly arrived plaster casts, first in charcoal and then in graphite. It’s definitely more challenging drawing from real casts than from pictures – hopefully the extra effort will carry over into outdoor painting.
- I also started on the same plaster cast but in grisaille, but I’ll work on it tomorrow.
Practice Time: 3.5hMay 19, 2022 at 1:56 pm #2407151
Day 68 19/05/2022
- I started watching the skull demo from Russian Drawing Course. I’m not sure how I’ll continue my ‘practising from life’ challenge whilst doing portraits – might have to recruit people to sit for me. Maybe even start a local art club?
- I spent 1.5 hrs on a value study of the same cast as yesterday. Much tougher than working from reference.
- I think I’ll repeat the task, and spend another 30 minutes tonight starting a drawing.
Practice Time: 2hMay 20, 2022 at 3:02 pm #2408222
Day 69 20/05/2022
- I read a chapter in The Science and Practice of Drawing on rhythm and line.
- I watched half an hour of Iliya’s skull demo from Russian Drawing Course. The plan is to move onto the skull after another round of drawing/painting a cast.
- I set up another cast and drew for about 3h. The perspective and angles were tough and simply looked wrong, because the cast was being viewed from above but was lent back – so it’s sort of facing the viewer. Just a bit weird to draw, not 100% I really got it right.
- I also spent an hour drawing the same cast in charcoal and putting in an initial ground colour in preparation for painting the cast tomorrow.
Practice Time: 4h – that’s more like it!May 21, 2022 at 2:08 pm #2409178May 22, 2022 at 2:28 pm #2413655
Day 71 21/05/2022
- I watched an hour of Russian Drawing Course, finishing off the skull demo.
- I worked for 1.5 hours on the start of a Constable master study, his The Cornfields – not getting too far. (Apologies for bad picture)
- I also spent an hour starting a skull from life.
Will hopefully make more progress on both tomorrow!
Practice Time: 2.5hMay 23, 2022 at 1:48 pm #2415240
Day 72 23/05/2022
- I continued yesterday’s skull assignment from Russian Drawing Course. I’m not really sure I’m applying the course lessons, as opposed to just drawing one how I already know how. I’ll do a few more, and perhaps rewatch bits of the instruction, before moving on.
- I also worked for an hour on my Constable study. I haven’t really done the accompanying ‘analysis’ – hopefully get more time for that tomorrow. The plan is just to work on this a little bit each day. Letting the paint dry a little is helping me re-works bits.
Practice Time: 4h (woohoo!)May 24, 2022 at 2:56 pm #2421288May 26, 2022 at 2:34 pm #2424297
Day 74 25/05/2022
- One and a half hours on the Constable study. I decided to call it ‘finished’ as far as a study goes – useful, I think, for understanding the composition, values, and shapes. The big lessons for me were (1) his use of line and movement through the painting to really emphasise the key subject, and (2) the solidity his value structure brought, especially the ‘O’ composition as the peak point of contrast.
- I also discovered how great not working alla prima is – getting to layer paint was wonderful. I could have gone on for hours and hours to get more detail.
Practice Time: 1.5h
Day 75 26/05/2022
- I spent 2.5 hours on another skull from life – this time charcoal on stretched paper. It’s unfinished, so I’ll work on it tomorrow. Then I might do a painting of the same composition, before officially moving forward in the Russian Drawing course.
- I’m going to try and sneak in 30 mins of Finding Your Voice As An Artist before bed.
Practice Time: 2.5hMay 27, 2022 at 1:55 pm #2425347May 29, 2022 at 1:10 pm #2430176
Day 77 29/05/2022
I went to a wedding this weekend, so little time for art. But I did snap a picture of the church with the idea of making a little “thank you” card for the newlyweds.
I’ve never made anything for other people’s consumption, so even though it’s just a little gesture, I’m still a bit worried it’ll turn out embarrassing!
Practice Time: 2.5hMay 31, 2022 at 12:49 am #2434062
Day 78 30/05/2022
Not a terribly productive day, must do better. I worked on the little thank you card for an hour yesterday – not sure it really improved much. In fact, the longer I look at it the more embarassed I am, enough so that I may not give it to them ha! I think I’ll let it dry and see if I can improve it.
I also spent 30 mins starting a cast drawing, but I’ll wait until tomorrow to update.
Practice Time: 1.5hMay 31, 2022 at 2:00 pm #2437856
Day 79 31/05/2022
- I finished the chapter in The Practice and Science of Drawing on ‘the unity of line’. It covers very similar subject to Villpu’s traditional composition course.
- I spent some time drawing a plaster cast of David’s eye – very tricky. The perspective caused by the tilt caused me some trouble, as did the overlapping forms above the eyelid.
Practice Time: 3hJune 2, 2022 at 3:03 pm #2441366
New Masters Academy The Best Value in Art Education