Jac’s 100 days of practising from life

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Jac’s 100 days of practising from life

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Day 66 15/05/2022

• Today I finished watching the lessons from Russian Drawing Approach on the clothed mannequin. I also worked on my assignment for another hour – I think that’s 7.5hrs total. My plan is to take a fresh look at it side-by-side with Iliya’s tomorrow to make any final changes.

• I also worked for an hour on the sketch I started yesterday outdoors. There’s something about it I really like – perhaps the composition – but it’s tricky getting the value hierarchy right. So I spent most of the time making some bits darker, other bits lighter before considering colour or detail.

Practice Time: 2h

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Day 67 16/05/2022

• I finished off the outdoor sketch from yesterday, which took up most of my practice time. There was a fair bit of scraping back and painting over, to try and get the values right. In some ways my little sketches are feeling increasingly unsatisfying. But when viewed side-by-side with earlier work, I do I think there are signs of progress.

• I also spent 30 minutes looking at my draped mannequin side-by-side with Iliyas. I was hoping this might reveal some clear flaws I could work on, but his was just another level that I couldn’t really edit mine. So I’m going to call it done. It’s my largest and longest drawing/painting, so I’m pleased with the effort.

• I also read a chapter in The Practice and Science of Drawing on ‘mass drawing’. It’s actually a great book, even though I learn better by seeing and copying, there’s plenty of gems in it. This one comes to mind:
      • “The brush[work] swinging round the forms suggests foreshortening, and fulness of form generally, and across the forms softness, while the brush following down the form suggests toughness and hardness, and crossing in every direction atmosphere” 

The plan tomorrow is either to draw/paint a newly arrive plaster cast or do a master study – probably the former, to keep up with the ‘drawing from life’ challenge.

Practice Time: 3h

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Day 67 18/05/2022

• I read a chapter in The Practice and Science of Drawing on rhythm. There were some thought-provoking bits about unity vs variety and harmony vs contrast.
    • I spent a bit of time drawing my newly arrived plaster casts, first in charcoal and then in graphite. It’s definitely more challenging drawing from real casts than from pictures – hopefully the extra effort will carry over into outdoor painting.
    • I also started on the same plaster cast but in grisaille, but I’ll work on it tomorrow.

Practice Time: 3.5h

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Day 68 19/05/2022

• I started watching the skull demo from Russian Drawing Course. I’m not sure how I’ll continue my ‘practising from life’ challenge whilst doing portraits – might have to recruit people to sit for me. Maybe even start a local art club?
    • I spent 1.5 hrs on a value study of the same cast as yesterday. Much tougher than working from reference.
    • I think I’ll repeat the task, and spend another 30 minutes tonight starting a drawing.

Practice Time: 2h

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Day 69 20/05/2022

• I read a chapter in The Science and Practice of Drawing on rhythm and line.
    • I watched half an hour of Iliya’s skull demo from Russian Drawing Course. The plan is to move onto the skull after another round of drawing/painting a cast.
    • I set up another cast and drew for about 3h. The perspective and angles were tough and simply looked wrong, because the cast was being viewed from above but was lent back – so it’s sort of facing the viewer. Just a bit weird to draw, not 100% I really got it right.

• I also spent an hour drawing the same cast in charcoal and putting in an initial ground colour in preparation for painting the cast tomorrow.

Practice Time: 4h – that’s more like it!

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Day 70 20/05/2022

• I painted a nose cast. Quite challenging. Result was a bit clunkier than yesterday’s drawing, proportions less graceful.
    • I watched 30 more minutes of the skull demo of Russian Drawing Course – the plan is to start a skull drawing tomorrow.

Practice Time: 3h

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Day 71 21/05/2022

• I watched an hour of Russian Drawing Course, finishing off the skull demo.
    • I worked for 1.5 hours on the start of a Constable master study, his The Cornfields – not getting too far. (Apologies for bad picture)

• I also spent an hour starting a skull from life.

Will hopefully make more progress on both tomorrow!

Practice Time: 2.5h

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Day 72 23/05/2022

• I continued yesterday’s skull assignment from Russian Drawing Course. I’m not really sure I’m applying the course lessons, as opposed to just drawing one how I already know how. I’ll do a few more, and perhaps rewatch bits of the instruction, before moving on.

• I also worked for an hour on my Constable study. I haven’t really done the accompanying ‘analysis’ – hopefully get more time for that tomorrow. The plan is just to work on this a little bit each day. Letting the paint dry a little is helping me re-works bits.

Practice Time: 4h (woohoo!)

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Day 73 24/05/2022

Basically spent all my art practice today on a second skull for Russian Drawing Course. A real wrestle. Must do more, but for now, I think I can add a skull in the rotation with plaster casts whilst I move on in the course.

Practice Time: 4h (woohoo again)

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Day 74 25/05/2022

• One and a half hours on the Constable study. I decided to call it ‘finished’ as far as a study goes – useful, I think, for understanding the composition, values, and shapes. The big lessons for me were (1) his use of line and movement through the painting to really emphasise the key subject, and (2) the solidity his value structure brought, especially the ‘O’ composition as the peak point of contrast.
    • I also discovered how great not working alla prima is – getting to layer paint was wonderful. I could have gone on for hours and hours to get more detail.

Practice Time: 1.5h

Day 75 26/05/2022

• I spent 2.5 hours on another skull from life – this time charcoal on stretched paper. It’s unfinished, so I’ll work on it tomorrow. Then I might do a painting of the same composition, before officially moving forward in the Russian Drawing course.
    • I’m going to try and sneak in 30 mins of Finding Your Voice As An Artist before bed.

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Day 76 27/05/2022

Only 1 hour today for art practice – and I’m unlikely to get any over the weekend. The perennial struggle with charcoal continues!

Practice Time: 1h

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Day 77 29/05/2022

I went to a wedding this weekend, so little time for art. But I did snap a picture of the church with the idea of making a little “thank you” card for the newlyweds.

I’ve never made anything for other people’s consumption, so even though it’s just a little gesture, I’m still a bit worried it’ll turn out embarrassing!

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Day 78 30/05/2022

Not a terribly productive day, must do better. I worked on the little thank you card for an hour yesterday – not sure it really improved much.  In fact, the longer I look at it the more embarassed I am, enough so that I may not give it to them ha! I think I’ll let it dry and see if I can improve it.

I also spent 30 mins starting a cast drawing, but I’ll wait until tomorrow to update.

Practice Time: 1.5h

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Day 79 31/05/2022

• I finished the chapter in The Practice and Science of Drawing on ‘the unity of line’. It covers very similar subject to Villpu’s traditional composition course.
    • I spent some time drawing a plaster cast of David’s eye – very tricky. The perspective caused by the tilt caused me some trouble, as did the overlapping forms above the eyelid.

Practice Time: 3h

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Day 80 02/06/2022

• I started on a grisaille plaster cast of David’s eye, this time from an alternative angle. There’s still some work to do on it.

Practice Time: 2h

Day 81 03/06/2022

• I got outdoors today to make a start on a landscape. I’ll also finish it later.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 99 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.