Introduction to Landscape Painting Part 1: Materials

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Introduction to Landscape Painting Part 1: Materials

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Before going out into the field to start your oil painting, we need to familiarize ourselves with the materials used in the process. In this lesson, Ben details his suggestions for paint pigments, brushes, canvases, and easels.

Landscape painting in a studio compared to painting on-location are completely different experiences, each with their own set of challenges to face. Painting landscapes on-location means you’re faced with constantly changing natural lighting, as well as nature, but the experience itself can really make your inspiration flow.

In this painting course, Artist Ben Fenske teaches you the fundamentals of landscape painting through a series of lessons. These lessons include easy to follow instruction, analysis of famous landscape paintings, and demonstrations shot on-location, to help you better your painting skills.

Dante Moreno
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

In the video number 4. How to stretch a canvas, the instructor mention that he like to use an oil base ground, but he doesn’t explain why is preferable.

Have a video that can explain this point? Or a video how to prepare supports such a canvas, paper, wood, etc. thank you.

Suparna Soman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

What can we do to prevent oil paints from getting moulds and fungus on them?

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Don’t wrap the paintings in plastic. Avoid dark and damp areas while drying. If mold appears you can mix a 1/10 bleach to water solution and wipe with a rag carefully.

Dante, oil and acrylic ground are pretty similar but oil has more compatibility with your oil paints or chemicals. Also it’s smother, and less porous than acrylic which gives it a nice texture to work on.

Ana Maravic
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Is it possible to take this course and not use oil paints ? I am thinking of using acrylics, gouache and watercolours instead.

Heather La Bash
    Participant
    No points.

Hey Ana, I don’t know if you have started the course yet. I have watched the first three lessons (through lesson 3: values) and certainly lessons 2 and 3 are good for any medium because they are about how to think about landscapes and how that translates to painting. It’s been very interesting so far. I had heard about “massing” before but I realize now I really didn’t understand the concept at all. Going out painting in a couple of hours and really excited to practice. Hope this helps and be well, Heather

Mark Fulp
    Participant
    No points.

Looking a french easel on the dickblick site.  An suggestions on which one to purchase?  I see the dickblick jullian and one that are just jullian … what are the differences between these except the price. 🙂

Betty Ng
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I am surprised that the instructor advised getting rid of “water soluble” oil paints because he said that they were not oil paints and would not mix with other colours.  Water soluble or miscible oil paints are real oil paints and can be mixed with traditional oil paints.

DOUGLAS BOSTIAN
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Is it possible to download all the reference photos in a single .zip file?

grunt.michal
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I watched all episodes a year ago and now I am back for repeting because it was very usefull form me. Ben is wonderful teacher and painter. I love his style. His still lifes are awsome.
    I just like to know haw he treat his dry painting. Does he do oiling out varnishing and what he use for it. My paintings have dull and more glossy areas and I tried to uniform this with gamsol-galkyd, but I am not very satisfied with this

Frank
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

HOW TO OIL PRIME A CANVAS?

In the video the tutor mentioned to oil prime base grounds as it is much better than acrylic base ground but he doesn’t show how to do it. I’m quite stack at this point now and been for more than a week as I’ve bought a roll of medium wave linen canvas as suggested but I don’t know how to oil prime it. Could someone please help?

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Hey Frank, so I haven’t actually tried priming canvas yet – but your question piqued my interest as I plan to soon.

I found this video from Gamblin to be useful, granted it’s promoting its own products -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Adz83gWq2o

It appears that you shouldn’t use oil based primer directly on the canvas. In the video, he first uses “Gamblin PVA Size” (https://www.jacksonsart.com/gamblin-pva-size-237ml) and then applies oil based primer on top of that. Not too tricky, it seems.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.