Introduction to Gesture and Figure Drawing

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Introduction to Gesture and Figure Drawing

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In this lesson, you will learn how to use rhythm and gesture to create a sense of movement and character within your figure drawings. Instructor Bill Perkins will teach you how to find the rhythms within the forms and contour of the figure. He also shows you how to apply chiaroscuro in designing your artwork.

This lesson belongs to the course The Beginner’s Guide to Drawing. It is a 12-week course designed to empower new students with a structured approach for learning how to draw. Join instructors Steve Huston, Chris Legaspi, Heather Lenefski, Bill Perkins, and Mark Westermoe as you learn the fundamentals of perspective, rendering, and composition. After completing this course, you will develop a solid foundation in drawing.

Throughout this course, you’ll have access to the NMA community for feedback and critiques to improve your work as you progress.

Ingrid Van Wauwe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Introduction to the figure

Andrea Lo Rillo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I’m having a problem with chiaroscuro.

The exercise asks you to draw a figure every 5 minutes but I take much longer to complete it. Am I doing something wrong?

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Andrea, the point is to not get lost in the details. if it takes you longer than 5 minutes to only do what what is being asked in the course, then you can take more time. but if you are over rendering and obsessing over details then you should try to limit yourself

I think the idea is to get the general impression, not a finished or complete drawing, I think you only need to get the idea out

I hope this helps

Frani
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

This has been difficult, interesting, and challenging!  But I am feeling better about the basics in figure drawing.  I still tend to get hung up on going for details, but will keep working on the axis lines, rhythm, and form.

Melissa Augusta
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Not an easy task but I love how lose I’m getting with them..ill summit thee others

Melissa Augusta
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Melissa Augusta
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Melissa Augusta
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi I’m a little confused should I continue posting my assignments here or there’s a specific place to do so?

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Melissa, this thread is for discussing the course, however, most of the conversation is happening on Discord (link at the top of this page) on discord you can post in the crit channels to get peer critiques. alternatively you can sign up for the coaching program to get one on one professional advice, critiques and portfolio reviews. https://coaching.nma.art/
    I would also recommend any one of our live classes live.nma.art where you can submit your homework to the instructor for potential critique. Please see the assignment tab under the video for instructions on how to properly submit those assignments.
    any other questions can be directed to a mod on discord by tagging @nmamod or by emailing “info@nma.art”

I hope this answers your questions 🙂

Alexander Alexis
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

assignment1a

assignment1b

assignment2a

assignment2b

assignment3

Martti Heinonen
    Participant
    No points.

According to John Asaro the center axis line is curved on the figures. Only in a skeleton the backbone could be straight. Does this mean that gesture lines can’t be straight?

Martti Heinonen
    Participant
    No points.

Is there a difference between center axis line and gesture line?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.