Ink, Classic Animation, and Concept Art

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Website Suggestions and Wish List Ink, Classic Animation, and Concept Art

Tagged: ,

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ozgur
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, I choose NMA because of its excellent analog art teachers. There are bunch of digital artist all around the internet but few of them are capable on actual drawing skills. You should keep the fundamentals. We all need that. Moreover, a concept artist (character, vehicle, environment designers) or an animator also need analog (pencil-paper) based tutorials.

James Gurney for Fantasy Character Design, Aaron Blaise for Character Design for Animation are the instructors who I wanted to see in this site.

And also cartoon, children book illustration, and comics courses would be great variety for NMA spirit. I am still waiting “Traditional Chinese Ink Painting” very highly. You should diversify these inking courses.

Thank you.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Thank you for giving this feedback.

We agree about doing more entertainment art but keeping the quality and focus on fundamentals a priority.

We have current production plans in 2020 to shoot with three awesome entertainment artists. Until agreements are signed I can’t say who yet but I think you’ll be pleased to hear it.

We would love to welcome Aaron Blaise to the NMA site. We have not yet spoken to James but we would love to work with him as well. We have been in talks with Aaron’s team and there is some interest and a lot of good will but we have yet to nail anything down. It helps for these artists to hear from you guys suggesting that they work with NMA. If you would like to see Aaron or James Gurney on NMA, it can’t hurt to let them know!

We are currently translating the Chinese Ink course from Cantonese to English. It’s our first translated course so we are trying to ensure that we get it right, so the editing is slower than English content but it will be worth the wait.

But yes, in 2020 we are planning on producing courses on Traditional Animation, Animation Performance, History of Animation, Character Design, Design Inspired by Nature Drawing from Imagination, and more. This will include inking work with ink brush pen.

Like with landscape (one out of our four upcoming landscape courses was released recently) our goal is to produce the best and more comprehensive version of these materials out there.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo.
    Ozgur
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Wonderful news. I can’t wait. 😀

bart
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

My God people, You are working on great stuff and the new courses from the last months are great! Very professional productions. I’m so happy. Can’t wait for all the stuff you’re working on.

Might I add Will Weston on the wishlist? He is great with fundamentals and from the entertainment industry.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by bart.
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Bart,

I’ve spoken to Will Weston about teaching for NMA. He has considered it but hasn’t come to a final decision. I would recommend if you’d like to see him on our site that you let him know.

He does have his own site drawingamerica.com and he also posts a lot of content on instagram.

Ozgur
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello again. I have found another good candidate for this topic. Peter Han. He has some several tutorials around however they are not prepared like NMA standards. But I am still love his way of teaching. His lessons are about Dynamic Sketching. It is like Steve Huston sketchbook tutorials but a bit different. He is using sketchbook in aspect of a concept artists especially focusing on form and functions.  He is not only representative of dynamic sketching but he is good. He is a student of Norman Schureman. May be you know Griz & Norm are also his pupils. Anyway, dynamic sketching methods would be good for NMA canon. I always like this “how to think/analize/see when you draw” style tutorials.

Ozgur
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi guys, I can understand corona destroyed all plans, but we are curious. What did happen to upcoming Chinese Ink course? Beginning of the year, you announced a huge catalogue, yes we know thing happens. Is there any update? Or do you have a new schedule? Not only for this course what about other courses?

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Chinese ink painting course is currently having subtitles translated. There are three translators working on it but there is quite a bit of work to do. The materials list for example is basically unavailable in the west so we are trying to work with Chinese suppliers to put together a kit for you.

Also the references in the video need to have proper documentation because the Chinese and English names are not simple to refer to. So it’s in the works, that’s the best I can say!

Someone else mentioned Peter Han. We are in talks to create a course with him.

We start work on our animation program in November!

alessandro argnani
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, I am new here. I am taking some courses about fundamentals and they are amazing ( fugure drawing, composition, anatomy, etc). An additional course about how to make comics/graphic novel would be really appreciated. Ideally it should guide the student from the  fundamentals of analogic comics to the digital techniques to improve it. And maybe in a further and advanced course you could teach only digital comics. Another solution could be: 1.basic course ( only analogic), 2.intermediate course ( mix of analogic and digital technique), 3.advanced ( only digital).

In any case you have excellent teachers and a lot of materials to study and practice already. Fantastic web site and, as far as I see, still expanding the offer.

alessandro

Lavender
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello,

I’d be very interested in the character design course if you complete it.

I’m wondering, though, will it be geared towards a particular style, or will it be more open? I draw comics with an aesthetic somewhere between naturalistic and “fashion”, but still fantasy. I feel like most character design courses I’ve seen are either geared towards a very cartoony style, where everything has to be exaggerated as much as it can be, or towards gritty, dystopian games with hyper-realistic grotesque monsters. It would be nice to have something more open…

Mariano Said Inclan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

When is the animation course coming out?
    I saw that you guys announced it on Twitter.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.